Want to ask a question? Click here

Where can I dispose of used medical supplies for recycling?

Ken Little

For “sharps” or needles, the New Hanover County Landfill has a location where they can be dropped off for proper recycling, landfill Manager Sam Hawes said.

The household hazardous waste operation is located at 3002 U.S. 421 North.

Items like gauze pads and surgical gowns are considered unregulated medical waste and not accepted at the landfill.

Metal wheelchairs and wood or metal crutches can be recycled at a landfill site, Hawes said.

For more information, visit the landfill website at http://recycling.nhcgov.com/services/landfill/ or call 910-798-4454 or 910-798-4403.

You can see all the state regulations about medical waste at https://deq.nc.gov/about/divisions/waste-management/waste-management-permit-guidance/solid-waste-section/medical-waste, including an FAQ to answer common questions.

User-contributed question by:

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!

Bookmark and Share

Ask a question

Ask a question

If you’re looking for answers about living in coastal North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place. If we don’t have the answer to your question, we’ll find out or try to find someone who does. Hey, that’s our job! So, ask your question below and we’ll do our best to find the answer. Once we do, we’ll post it in an appropriate category.

Can we use your name to credit you by name (no e-mail or other contact information) with this question when we post an answer?
Your question:

Post a comment

Talk to us!

Have a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Use this form to let us know. Note that all comments are moderated and must be approved before they are posted, although you may see your own comments the first time you post them.

Your comment: