Want to ask a question? Click here

My neighbor’s house and yard is in hideous disrepair. Whom can I call?

Ken Little

Q. A neighbor has allowed both her home and her yard to fall into hideous disrepair. I believe that there is an ordinance that requires her to maintain upkeep. What particular office do I contact?

Thinkstock photo

Thinkstock photo

City of Wilmington spokesman Dylan Lee recommends calling the Code Enforcement section at (910) 341-3266.

In New Hanover County outside the city, the county Planning and Zoning Department number is (910) 798-7165.

“The county has an environmental officer at the sheriff’s office that would go to the neighbor,” county Attorney Wanda Copley said.

For complaints about high grass and tall weeds, contact the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office at (910) 798-4200.


Is letting your grass grow knee high (or higher) a code violation?

What can be done about a neighbor who makes furniture and emits noxious glue fumes?

What are the laws in New Hanover County and Wilmington regarding having chickens?



User-contributed question by:
Cynthia Hall

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!

Bookmark and Share

Ask a question

Ask a question

If you’re looking for answers about living in coastal North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place. If we don’t have the answer to your question, we’ll find out or try to find someone who does. Hey, that’s our job! So, ask your question below and we’ll do our best to find the answer. Once we do, we’ll post it in an appropriate category.

Can we use your name to credit you by name (no e-mail or other contact information) with this question when we post an answer?
Your question:

Post a comment

Talk to us!

Have a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Use this form to let us know. Note that all comments are moderated and must be approved before they are posted, although you may see your own comments the first time you post them.

Your comment: