Want to ask a question? Click here

Does the local health department have jurisdiction over health food bars, etc., made in private homes containing pets/animals but sold in public establishments?

Vicky Eckenrode

The N.C. Department of Agriculture is responsible for permitting home-based kitchen businesses.

According to the department, only low-risk packaged food can be produced at home for sale. That includes baked goods, jams and jellies, candies, dried mixes, spices and some sauces and liquids.

If there is a pet is in the house, even if it’s just at night, the person cannot manufacture goods in his or her kitchen, the agency states. Doing so is a violation of federal regulations on manufacturing practices.

For more information about determining if a home meets federal food safety requirements or application materials to be inspected as a home-based food business, go to www.ncagr.gov/fooddrug/food/homebiz.htm

User-contributed question by:
Sally Pace

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!

Bookmark and Share

Ask a question

Ask a question

If you’re looking for answers about living in coastal North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place. If we don’t have the answer to your question, we’ll find out or try to find someone who does. Hey, that’s our job! So, ask your question below and we’ll do our best to find the answer. Once we do, we’ll post it in an appropriate category.

Can we use your name to credit you by name (no e-mail or other contact information) with this question when we post an answer?
Your question:

Post a comment

Talk to us!

Have a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Use this form to let us know. Note that all comments are moderated and must be approved before they are posted, although you may see your own comments the first time you post them.

Your comment: