Want to ask a question? Click here

What is the process for getting a building condemned?

The county can legally condemn an abandoned and dilapidated house that’s deemed unsafe. And if the home or building is falling apart, then it’s very likely the building is not safe at all.

Now, if it’s just an eyesore, it can’t be condemned, according to Richard Lang, New Hanover County’s chief building code enforcement official. The county, though, will first contact the homeowner before the building is demolished. A letter will be sent to the owner informing him of a hearing on the property. If after the hearing if the owner still doesn’t do something about the house, the county will inform the Sheriff’s Office to have it demolished. The owner is financially responsible for demolition, and a lien can be placed on the property if the costs aren’t recovered, Lang said.

If you see a building that may be unsafe, contact New Hanover County  Inspections Deptartment at 798-7175.

User-contributed question by:

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!

Bookmark and Share

Ask a question

Ask a question

If you’re looking for answers about living in coastal North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place. If we don’t have the answer to your question, we’ll find out or try to find someone who does. Hey, that’s our job! So, ask your question below and we’ll do our best to find the answer. Once we do, we’ll post it in an appropriate category.

Can we use your name to credit you by name (no e-mail or other contact information) with this question when we post an answer?
Your question:

Post a comment

Talk to us!

Have a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Use this form to let us know. Note that all comments are moderated and must be approved before they are posted, although you may see your own comments the first time you post them.

Your comment: