Delgado Cemetery, also known as Spofford Cemetery, is in the Forest Hills neighborhood, near 626 Confederate Drive, Wilmington [Map this], not far from the intersection of Confederate and Colonial drives and not far from Forest Hills Elementary School.
Originally located on property owned by Delgado Mills Inc., the cemetery was originally intended for employees of Delgado Mills (later Spofford Mills) and their families. More than 200 burials have been recorded there, although fewer than one-half of these are marked.
The earliest tombstone date seems to be 1912. The cemetery appears to have been in greatest use between the early 1930s and the late 1950s, although graves were dug there as late as 1983. After Spofford Mills closed in 1967, the property passed to a private board of trustees, which later became inactive. In 2001, New Hanover County took over responsibility for the property from the City of Wilmington.
Most of those buried here were white, reflecting the cotton mill’s hiring patterns. At least two Confederate veterans are interred at the site. A number of graves are unmarked mounds, covered with shells. Some of the markers, dating from the Great Depression, are homemade with concrete. According to Beverly Tetterton of the New Hanover County Public Library, the cemetery contains at least one unusual grave marker made of glass.
Although periodically overgrown with weeds, Delgado Cemetery has generally been judged in good condition. It suffered considerable storm damage during Hurricanes Bertha and Fran. For more information, visit Find a Grave: Delgado Cemetery.
Date posted: October 25, 2010
User-contributed question by: