Jim Ware

A reader asks, “Does anyone recall the huge train and toy land display in Belk Beery at Christmas?”

We thought it would be fun to have other readers respond with their memories. You can post your comments below.

7 Responses to “ Does anyone recall the huge train and toy land display in Belk Beery at Christmas?”

1. On August 3, 2010 at 9:19 pm DEBBIE MCMULLEN wrote:

Toyland was located downstairs , when you walked into the main entrance you went down a flight of stairs to the left and down to Toyland where there a huge girraff and at Christmas Santa sat near the elevator. Don’t really remember the train

2. On August 4, 2010 at 6:32 am Bob Carter wrote:

That display was one of the highlights of the season..can remember as a young child standing outside, in what I thought then as “cold weather”, gazing in wonderment of what I wanted Santa to bring..if I remember correctly, the inside display was usually good also.

3. On August 4, 2010 at 9:45 am Wanda Norris wrote:

Yes,I do remember it and also the train that would pick up the children down at the railroad and take us to The North Pole to see Santa,then have a big Xmas parade downtown Wilmington.That was the good days.

4. On August 4, 2010 at 10:10 am Gregg English wrote:

My name is Gregg English and I was born 1946 in Wilmington, NC and grew up there. I lived in Sunset Part Area of Wilmington. My Daddy was manager of the women’s shoe department for a long time at Belk Berry’s and Mama used to work there at the same time. I used to go with them to work on Saturday’s because I was too young to stay by myself at home all day so I would just walk around the store and go to the basement and look at the toys. I can remember spending many hours roaming the basement and standing looking at the Lionel Trains on display. I also remember around Christmas time standing outside the big windows looking at the trains and all the toys on display. It wasn’t just one train it was maybe four going at the same time. I would wonder how in the world those trains can be going at the same time and not hit each other. I wished that I could run them. It was one of the high-lights at Christmas to watch the trains and all the toys on display in the Belk Berry window. Sometimes it would be so crowed to even see. Those were very good times when the only thing to worry about was what you were getting for Christmas and being home and playing outside, cowboys and Indians back then. My daddy gave me a Lionel train set for Christmas when I was four years old that I think it came from Belk Berry’s and I still have it today with all the memories that come with it.

5. On August 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm Steve Bradham wrote:

I remember very well standing outside of the Belk’s department store looking into the large store window at all of the toys for Christmas. I do not remember the toy trains in the basement. I do remember a very large display of Santa and the reindeer that covered most of the side of the building above the window display. From my memories as a child it was huge. It had Santa in his sleigh and all the reindeer and stretched from one end of the building to the other running diagonal from just above the covering for the sidewalk all the way to the top of the building on the other end of the structure. There also was a large Santa going down the chimney which sat on a ledge covering the back entrance to the building. Does anyone remember this? I wish my parents had taken a picture of these display. Did anyone else get a picture?

6. On November 7, 2010 at 4:43 pm Jerry Bell wrote:

OH how i do remember about xmass at Belks looking thru the big windows. I can still see all the toys an Santa also.It was like 5th Avenue New York.

7. On July 3, 2013 at 1:34 pm cheap vps host wrote:

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.