Vicky Eckenrode

They are not, said Dianne Harvell, environmental services manager for the New Hanover County Health Department.

“They’re required to have clean hands or use utensils,” said Harvell, whose department is responsible for inspecting restaurants in the county.

She said employees are required to have clean, washed hands – hence the signs reminding them of that in restaurant bathrooms.

Billy
Billy

8 Responses to “ Are employees of fast food restaurants required to wear gloves during food preparation?”

1. On February 16, 2010 at 1:54 pm JMD9635 wrote:

I wish they would make that a law down here. You can’t trust that they are washing their hands properly and gloves would be the barrier to most germs. It’s just disgusting! I have walked out of establishments when I witnessed the workers handling money, answering the phone and then reaching for my food. Gross!

2. On February 18, 2010 at 9:24 am rebecca wrote:

I agree. I think it should be mandatory. Thats why I don’t eat out much anymore.

3. On March 4, 2010 at 2:38 am Bill Foster wrote:

Employees wearing gloves would not solve the problems with “germs.” The actual danger at any restaurant is cross contamination which occurs when handling raw or undercooked foods then handling cooked and prepared foods without properly cleaning your hands or utensils first. It is still possible to cross contaminate foods while wearing gloves if the gloves are not washed between handling of such foods. It is for that reason that gloves are not a requirement. There is very little chance of catching a cold or flu from someone handling your food unless they sneeze or cough on your food, something that a glove would not protect against in the first place.

4. On July 5, 2011 at 5:45 pm cariann wrote:

my opinion is if you train your people the right way to change their gloves every 15 mins or after doing anything that may be un safe then you shouldn’t have a problem or is the company to cheep to pay for good healthy service.I’m sorry but that made me sick when i went to the fast food place and watched the manager of all people making my food with bare hands at least if you are going to allow this make sure they are not in front of customers also there was not a single container of sanatizer near by so how would we as customers know that she washed her hands hmmm makes you think now doesn’t it?

5. On April 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm Kathy Brown wrote:

I am so against not wearing gloves when handling food. I do not want other’s touching what I eat, whether they wash their hands or not. Skin cells are still there and it is just disgusting. You never know what someone may have to transmit to your food and you. It isn’t that difficult to use clear plastic gloves. I believe this should be a requirement and cannot belief it isn’t.

6. On March 30, 2013 at 10:54 am Amy wrote:

Recently realized fast food employees dont have to wear gloves when getting some hot dogs at a T&L. The girl making my food stops and wipes something off a teenage boys face, one with pimples and greasy skin, then proceeded to continue with my hot dogs. Very disturbing. It amazes me that there are inspectors out there telling people what they can and cant do with their restaurants but yet they put the food we eat into the hands of people who could really care less if they expose someone to something, And they think on good faith they will wash their hands. As if the food that is out there isnt bad enough for our bodies. And thats a whole other subject I wont get into.

7. On June 5, 2013 at 9:54 pm garry wrote:

I just left a McDonalds here in Lincolnton, NC because the person making by food was not wearing gloves. The manager was quick to respond they were not required to wear gloves. I will persue this further but for now and from now on I will never step foot in McDonalds again anywhere! They don’t have to wear gloves and I don’t have to eat their food.