Q. Could you give a brief history of the original Bradley Creek Elementary School?
A.The original Bradley Creek Elementary School was a one-story brick school built in 1926 that drew its students from the small, outgrown Sea Gate School. The new modern school had pot belly stoves and water pumps.
Three schools built during that time – Bradley Creek, Wrightsboro and Forest Hills – looked so much alike that it is sometimes hard to tell them apart in vintage photographs.
Bradley Creek Elementary, 6206 Oleander Dr. was an example of a much loved neighborhood school serving the Seagate and Bradley Creek areas. During WWII, a second story was constructed to accommodate the growing student population. Even today the school, teachers , and atmosphere is remembered fondly by the former students.
In 1978, the state Department of Instruction recommended it be closed, but it stayed in use.
Oct. 11, 1982, the school burned down. Between January and October in 1982, there were 17 confirmed acts of arson in the Seagate area. It was a frightening time. The school fire started in the second-floor bathroom and took off from there. There has been a lot of speculation over the years about who started it.
The school was only insured for one third of the rebuild cost, so after this fire the board changed to 100 percent replacement cost on school insurance policies.
The new Bradley Creek School was built in the mid 1980s. The original site is now home to the County Arboretum.
Date posted: August 29, 2013
User-contributed question by: