Pam Sander

How many fewer hits has StarNewsOnline.com gotten since you started requiring a paid subscription to view content?

A. A month after launching our expanded subscription plan that includes digital, StarNewsOnline.com has actually experienced an increase in page views.

Since the launch, we are up about one million page views over the same period one year ago. We believe this is due to the fact that so many of our website users are current subscribers to the StarNews print newspaper. We also have added content for our readers, and have new subscribers.

With the largest reporting team covering local news, business, sports, entertainment and state and local government, we will continue to offer in-depth and complete coverage other local media do not have the resources to provide.

NOTE: Pam Sander is executive editor of the StarNews and StarNewsOnline.com.

RELATED LINKS:

Will the StarNews begin delivering papers to homes in Columbus County again?

Why have many of the StarNews newspaper racks disappeared?

7 Responses to “ Has the number of hits at StarNewsOnline.com gone down since you started digital subscriptions?”

1. On June 5, 2013 at 10:37 am Javier wrote:

The problem with you is that it’s impossible to get rid of your annoyings emails. Unsubscribe option doesn’t work. You don’t answer emails and don’t respect the reader. I’m trying to unsubscribe since January so please substract my hits in your website, I’m not interested in what you have to say I got in there to know how to get rid of you. I it were possible I would sue you for your disrespect.

2. On June 5, 2013 at 10:49 am Roy Morgan wrote:

Now that we are paying for this get rid of the ads…..especially the annoying drop down one when the page first opens.

3. On June 5, 2013 at 3:35 pm Si Cantwell wrote:

If clicking on the unsubscribe button at the bottom of the email doesn’t work, send an email to webmaster@starnewsonline.com and we will manually unsubscribe you from our news alerts and newsletters. If it’s some other type of email from the StarNews, forward it to me at si.cantwell@starnewsonline.com and I’ll try to make it go away.

4. On June 5, 2013 at 6:12 pm Rebecca Taylor wrote:

We subscribe to the paper but the account is in my roommate’s name. I like to read Si and Ben so am paying the outrageous monthly fee just to read their facebook posts. Resent it like hell but can’t live without them.

5. On June 11, 2013 at 3:50 pm Si Cantwell wrote:

Thank you (I think).
    Ben and I will try our best, along with the rest of the staff, to offer you good quality content for your hard-earned dollars. Thanks for subscribing!

6. On July 6, 2013 at 12:33 pm Kit Cosper wrote:

An increase in page views – but how many digital-only subscribers do you have? I used to visit daily, now I might visit twice a month, usually to search for something from the past. The site is consistently slow (has been for years) and pages often have loading issues. Not about to pay for anything but the absolute best. Now that I hear subscribers are still subject to the inane pop-up ads my decision is affirmed.