Was there ever a gas station where the parking lot is for Whole Foods?

Ken Little

Q. Was there ever a gas station where the parking lot is for Whole Foods at 3804 Oleander Drive? I noticed multiple square boxes and soil monitoring wells in the pavement of that parking lot in the corner. I also noticed them across the street in the parking lot of the Wells Fargo. I have only seen these things at gas stations. I remember when Wilsons had another building where this parking lot is, but I don’t remember there ever being a gas station there.

A. It appears there was a gas station in close proximity to the location at one time, but New Hanover County and city of Wilmington officials could not pinpoint its location or when it was torn down.

“Our records don’t show a gas station at that address as we don’t have them back that far,” said Roger Kelley, tax administrator of New Hanover County.

But Kelley said in notes for a parcel at the intersection of Fordham Road and Oleander Drive (Parcel # R05716-006-006-000), tax office records indicate that in 1995 there was “some groundwater contamination monitoring.”

Added Denise Lewis, deputy register of deeds for New Hanover County and a Wilmington native: “Yes, there was a gas station there. I am not sure of the date.”

City Zoning Administrator John Fullerton said there was no information available on a gas station at that location.

RELATED LINKS:

10 Responses to “ Was there ever a gas station where the parking lot is for Whole Foods?”

1. On June 26, 2012 at 2:42 pm Kelley wrote:

I recall there being a Fast Fare at the intersection of Oleander and Fordham Road. The earliest memory I have of it would be in the very late 70′s; I am not sure when it was constructed or how long it had been there. It was probably there perhaps into the early 80′s.

2. On June 26, 2012 at 6:43 pm Bob McLeod wrote:

As I recall in the late 50′s or early 60′s there was a Gulf gas station in that area where my father used to fill up. The full service attendant, “Joe” ,was a very friendly guy and always greeted my father by name.

3. On June 28, 2012 at 9:49 am Justin wrote:

There was a Modern Laundry Dry Cleaners located in the parking lot of the Wilson’s Supermarket located at Fordham and Oleander Drives until construction began on the “new” Independence Mall. Just east of the supermarket parking lot, Bellamy Drugs had their main headquarters. Printed news accounts in the 1970s indicated the monitoring wells were dug in order to measure contamination believed to have occurred due to the dry cleaning operation.

4. On June 30, 2012 at 7:08 pm Jason wrote:

There was a Fast Fare there, it was a brown building if I remember correctly.

5. On June 30, 2012 at 9:21 pm Laura wrote:

I agree with Kelly- I remember a Fast Fare, on the corner there were Wilson’s Grocery Store (later became Hannaford’s). The earliest I remember it being there was around 1978…

6. On July 2, 2012 at 5:58 pm Mike wrote:

I beleive there was a station there. I use to go there to fill the gas cans to mow yards when I was growing up in Lincoln Forest.

7. On July 6, 2012 at 7:02 pm kevin wallace wrote:

there was a convient store that sold gas right in front of wilsons at 3804 oleander drive. it was a fastfare.

8. On July 7, 2012 at 12:53 am BUDDY LANGLEY wrote:

long before the fast fare there was a phillips 66 gas station on that corner . there use to be a sawmill close to that property before that .

9. On July 7, 2012 at 6:12 pm Joe wrote:

Yes there was a Fast Fare owned by Jim Fountain of Fountain Oil. It closed around 1986.

10. On July 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm J_Buck wrote:

If you really want to know about the monitoring wells, why they exist, when they were installed, the contamination found, etc., contact DENR (Department of Environment and Natural Resources) Water Quality Division. They are located on Cardinal Drive Extension. This is the governmental agency that would have required their installation and monitors the results of periodic testing of the ground water for contamination from that site. Multiple wells around a site of known contamination is to determine if the contamination is migrating off the site and/or to determine if the contaminants are infiltrating into the ground water.