Want to ask a question? Click here

Any idea when the lights are going to be fixed (again) on the Leland side of the Memorial Bridge causeway?

Ken Little
StarNews

Q. Any idea when the lights are going to be fixed (again), on the Leland side of the Memorial Bridge causeway? The lights from the end of the bridge, all the way through the U.S. 421 merge to the end of the light set, are not working again. I know it took them years to fix them when they were out the first time, then they worked for a year. Now it is pitch black through there again, and very dangerous.

A. Ross Kimbro ll, N.C. Department of Transportation Division 3 deputy traffic, said a technician was sent to the location on Monday, “and he was able to get the majority of the lights operational.”

“Unfortunately, we are coming to the end of our fiscal year, and will have to wait until our new budget is in place for the more serious problems,” Kimbro said.

The state’s new fiscal year begins July 1.

RELATED LINKS:

When the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge is closed, why do the detour signs not indicate the shortest route available? Can I post my own signs?

Why is there a video camera on U.S. 421 between the Thomas Rhodes and Isabel Holmes bridges?

User-contributed question by:
Michelle

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!


Bookmark and Share

6 Responses to “ Any idea when the lights are going to be fixed (again) on the Leland side of the Memorial Bridge causeway?”

  1. On June 13, 2012 at 8:06 pm Henry wrote:

    Why does the NCDOT just keep giving excuses for this issue. The lights were supposed to be addressed as part of the bridge painting, then it was shelved. The excuses have ranged from bad wiring to we don’t have a truck tall enough to reach the bulbs, now it is no money. I urge everyone who is tired of all the excuses and driving in the dark to call or e-mail your state representatives and complain. This is a dangerous situation on the approaches and it only happens here. It is time for the lights to be fixed or replaced and quit the excuses! Am I right?

  2. On June 15, 2012 at 8:47 am Wayne wrote:

    Why doesn’t the DOT use the single pole cluster lights like you see at interchanges on the interstates for the bridge approaches? Those type of light poles illuminate a large area and only a few would be needed around the bridge. Looks like in the long run they would be much easier to maintain and provide better light. It is time the DOT fixes this dangerous driving problem at night and stops making excuses all the time. You don’t see this happening in Raleigh, the lights are fixed when they go out. How many complaints does it take to get the NCDOT’s attention? This has been going on for years.

  3. On June 15, 2012 at 8:51 am Elise wrote:

    How many NCDOT employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    The answer- none, they are too busy making excuses!

  4. On June 16, 2012 at 6:55 am justin wrote:

    In this very MyReporter column, and in numerous stories online, the NCDOT said the causeway lighting west of the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge would be repaired before -then as part of- the bridge repainting, slated to be done in 2011. If monies were budgeted, then why haven’t the repairs been done? This has been an ongoing issue for well over four years since the lights failed in the summer of 2007. I call shenanigans!

  5. On June 18, 2012 at 8:54 pm Ray wrote:

    Why doesn’t the Star News do some investigative reporting on this issue and see where the money went for the approach lighting? The Star News carried a story about the light repairs being put off to give the contractor more time to finish the painting of the bridge last year but what has happened now that the painting is over? If the contractor was paid to fix the lights as well as paint the bridge then who pocketed the money. This problem has been going on for years with the lights and the NCDOT has given too many vague excuses in regards to fixing or replacing the lights.The out of money excuse is absurb. This type of thing does not happen in Raleigh when lights fail there on the interstates. Come on Star News, do a follow up on this story and let’s get some action!!!

  6. On June 18, 2012 at 9:15 pm Helen wrote:

    Wonder if anyone at the NCDOT ever reads the responses to the vague answers they give My Reporter about the approach lighting. The STAR NEWS should e-mail the responses back to them, especially the guy who said wait to next year so we will have more money to turn the lights back on. I think something fishy is going on here.



X
Ask a question
X

Ask a question

If you’re looking for answers about living in coastal North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place. If we don’t have the answer to your question, we’ll find out or try to find someone who does. Hey, that’s our job! So, ask your question below and we’ll do our best to find the answer. Once we do, we’ll post it in an appropriate category.





Can we use your name to credit you by name (no e-mail or other contact information) with this question when we post an answer?
Yes
Your question:

Post a comment
X

Talk to us!

Have a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Use this form to let us know. Note that all comments are moderated and must be approved before they are posted, although you may see your own comments the first time you post them.





Your comment: