Where can I find photos of the A&P stores that were in Wilmington?

Jim Ware

Reader Jackie Genes is interested in finding pictures of the A&P stores that were in Wilmington.

Here’s more on Genes’ request: “There was one on North Third where the U-Haul place is now. There was one near the bridge on North Third…. There was also one at Fourth and Nixon — it is now painted blue and is a fish market. One at 15th and Princess, one at Market Plaza Shopping Center. One on Oleander Drive, one at 17th and Dawson streets, One at South Third and one at Carolina Beach.”

Genes also is interested in finding a picture of Fred Day’s meat place on Fourth Street near Red Cross.

If you can help Genes, leave comments below.

Thanks.

Jackie Genes

15 Responses to “ Where can I find photos of the A&P stores that were in Wilmington?”

1. On May 9, 2011 at 7:31 am Michele wrote:

Jackie,
    The old A&P store at Carolina beach is still there, on Cape Fear Blvd. It’s Sea Merchants now, but it’s the exact same store, parking lot. My mom used to shop there when it was A&P. If you drive on the next street over behind the store, the original A&P sign is still on the building!

2. On May 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm Jerry wrote:

Don’t have any pictures of the A&P’s but in the early 60′s I worked at the A&P at 17th & Dawson. My mother also worked at both A&P’s in Carolina Beach before we moved to Wilmington. Remember a lot of the people who worked at those stores. I’d be glad to try to help Jackie.

3. On May 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm Wayne wrote:

Here is a link to a photo of the Winter Park A&P in 1965 — http://cdm15169.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p15169coll1&CISOPTR=1001&CISOBOX=1&REC=3

4. On May 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm Wayne wrote:

Here is a link to an A&P on Third Street a long time ago: http://cdm15169.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p15169coll1&CISOPTR=1002&CISOBOX=1&REC=4

5. On May 11, 2011 at 12:21 am Scott Nunn wrote:

Don’t think I have any pictures but I know A&P was one of the big grocery stores around here. In the early 1960s, before i was born, my father was the produce manager at the Carolina Beach A&P. When he had fruits and vegetables that were not good enough to keep in the store but still quite edible, my father would carry them down to the Fort Fisher Hermit and my brother often tagged along and got to meet the hermit several times. If the food was no long edible for humans, he would give it to George Tregembno at Tot-Em-In Zoo for the animals. My father to this day, at 83, cannot stand to see any food go in the trash. In the late 60s my brother worked at the A&P on North Third Street. I just rememeber it was built at the bottom of a hill and one time when it snowed we went to the parking lot to sled on boxes from the store. BTW, Bevery Tetterton at the NH Library may know about some old fotos.

6. On May 11, 2011 at 9:12 am Bill wrote:

My Grandfather ran a place on the corner of 17th and Dawson called “Carolina Millworks” in the 50′s and 60′s. I used to walk next door with him to pick up items from the A&P for my Grandmother before heading home. I spent alot of time there when we visited in the summertime. Something about the rooster on the weathervane on top of the store always caught my eye. I always look for it when I go by but it has been missing for a very long time now.

7. On May 11, 2011 at 6:02 pm Richard wrote:

Doesn’t the Habitat for Humanity store on S. Third St. occupy an old A&P location?

8. On May 20, 2011 at 8:21 pm Bob Walsak wrote:

Pictures of A&P Stores….wish I had taken pics back then when I worked in the early ’60′s mainly at the N. 4th Street A&P (the one in the hole next to the bridge & RR tracks, and across the street from the Chic Chic) I also worked on occasion at the N. third St, Prinvcess St, Oleander Dr, and Carolina Beach stores when they needed manpower. A&P was the king in ILM at the time.

9. On June 10, 2011 at 5:55 pm Ashley Carter wrote:

Same Question I am looking for Wilmington A&P photos other than those linked as while, I am really trying to pull together a archive of every A&P store that operated in the Carolina Division (aka the Old Charlotte Div.) during Its last two decades. Those Dates are 1978-1998/99. The Big focus years would 1984-98 .Reasons??? A&P Carolina Div. still had close to 100 locatios at the start 1984…The company as a whole would slowed down on just closing stores and decided to dig in…the Division head offices were still in Charlotte and For the next decade A&P preformed well as a whole as while as most of its Carolina Stores. If you have an old photos of NC/SC A&P stores any year in the 20th century or info about opening and closing Dates or just good need to know stuff about the Carolina Division please share with us. Thanks for taking a min. to read this post.

10. On June 12, 2011 at 5:25 pm Ken Shields wrote:

If I;m not mistaken there was an A&P located close to Nesbit Courts in the 50′s. It was on 3rd street close to the ‘ice house’. I remember going there with my momma and two brothers, but I could be mistaken.

11. On September 28, 2011 at 4:41 pm Vince Hagerty wrote:

In response to Jackie Gene’s interest in photo of Fred’s meat shop – The precise name was “Fred N Day Meats”. You may want to contact his widow Elizabeth Day who lives on Bretonshire Rd. The Days lived across the street from us on Perry Ave. in the 1950s. I believe Fred also co-owned the Chic Chic. What about Coloniel food stores back then? Believe one was at 17th & Market where my mother shopped.

12. On October 5, 2011 at 9:23 am Wayne wrote:

Vince, I also lived on Perry Ave., but am not sure whether it was late ’40s, early ’50s or both. I recall we lived across the street from Freddie Day (junior, I guess), and close to George Savage. The Snows lived in the next block (1900 block). And, I sort of think Pappy Gay lived nearby, at least part of the time we were on Perry Ave.

13. On November 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm joan mathews wrote:

I thought the A & P Store question was interesting. A & P 100% Natural Vanilla Extract and A & P Store Brand applesauce are the best of any brand. Is it true that A & P Stores are only in New York State and New Jersey. Miss A & P Stores too.

14. On January 22, 2012 at 9:36 pm Ashley Carter wrote:

When did A&P pull out of Wilmington??? Did the older small stores stay until the end or was it just the larger Orlander Dr. and Dawson Str. style stores still going before A&P ended operations? 1975 was a restructuring of operations Company wide for A&P, results were about half the stores were closed. Did Wilmington live to see ’76 or beyond??

15. On February 17, 2012 at 5:14 pm Curt Howard wrote:

Yea, I remember working at the A&P on Princess St. back in 1969 thru 1971 after I got transferred from the A&P in Kinston NC after I graduated from high school there. The store mgr. was Mr. E.P. Mohr and the asst mgr was Mr. Elwood. When I found out they were talking about closing stores down in the early 70′s I got a job at the DuPont factory over the bridge in Leland NC. I joined the Air Force later and now I’m retired from the military, but I sure miss the old A&P stores throughout NC. I think one of the factors for their closing was to due to union demands and the rise of the cost of doing business, but it was a great place to work in high school and later too. In fact, my uncle Elwood Everington was the store mgr in New Bern NC. Those were the good old days…Jane Parker bread, A&P apple butter, and 8 o’clock coffee! Curt Howard