Want to ask a question? Click here

Who decides when traffic lights, turn lanes and similar improvements are needed and made?

Ken Little

With regard to roadway improvements associated with a development, the NC Department of Transportation district engineer, in coordination with other DOT units, “has the final decision on what improvements are needed to mitigate for the traffic associated with any development that connects to the state highway system,” Vause said.

Connections to city streets would be under their jurisdiction.

Associated improvements could include deceleration lanes, signalization and other actions, Vause said.

The district engineer for New Hanover and Brunswick Counties is Ben Hughes. His contact number is 910-251-2655. The acting district engineer for Onslow and Pender Counties is Patrick Riddle. His contact number is 910-346-2040.

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!

Bookmark and Share

Ask a question

Ask a question

If you’re looking for answers about living in coastal North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place. If we don’t have the answer to your question, we’ll find out or try to find someone who does. Hey, that’s our job! So, ask your question below and we’ll do our best to find the answer. Once we do, we’ll post it in an appropriate category.

Can we use your name to credit you by name (no e-mail or other contact information) with this question when we post an answer?
Your question:

Post a comment

Talk to us!

Have a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Use this form to let us know. Note that all comments are moderated and must be approved before they are posted, although you may see your own comments the first time you post them.

Your comment: