Want to ask a question? Click here

I know Echo Farms was a dairy farm on Carolina Beach Road. Were there other dairy farms in the area way back when?

Gail Calloway
StarNews
For decades, the McEachern farm, known as Echo Farms, produced milk for thousands of New Hanover County families. Located on Carolina Beach Road, it was owned by Alexander O. McEachern (1869-1962). McEachern was a pioneer in the diary business, having begun the venture in 1897. He was the first breeder in North Carolina to receive the Progressive Breeders Association award from the Holstein Friesian Association. After McEachern's death, his family sold the land to investors who developed a residential community around a golf course. A.O. McEachern and an employee are pictured in this photograph. Photo courtesy of the New Hanover County Public Library.

For decades, the McEachern farm, known as Echo Farms, produced milk for thousands of New Hanover County families. It was owned by Alexander O. McEachern (1869-1962), who began the venture in 1897. He was the first breeder in North Carolina to receive the Progressive Breeders Association award from the Holstein Friesian Association. A.O. McEachern and an employee are pictured in this photograph. Photo courtesy of the New Hanover County Public Library.

There were many dairy farms in the Cape Fear area, ranging from small family to mid-size neighborhood servers all the way up to the larger and probably longest-lasting Echo Farms, off Carolina Beach Rd. The larger of these used war prisoner labor during World War II. These farms were all over the county and today very few if any reminders of them are left.

The Dutch Leeuwenberg family brothers had several all over the county. John Leeuwenberg’s was located in the Mercer Avenue, Wrightsville Avenue and Wilshire Boulevard area. Another was off Market Street at Dutch Square and Dairy Farm Road. Brother Otto Leeuwenberg’s was on Market Street across from today’s Holiday Inn. Cassie’s was on Bonham Avenue.

Several other Dutch families had dairies here. The Dirk Swart family had one on Market Street at Kerr Avenue, where Whitey’s was located, and another in Castle Hayne. Vanderwall family had a small one on Orchard Avenue.

There was Taylor Farms on Covil Avenue. In the early 1950’s Dunk Smith ran a dairy farm by Bradley Creek at Wrightsville Avenue.

There are probably many more farms and we would love to hear about them here. Let us know in the Comment section below.

RELATED LINKS:

What is the history of Echo Farms?

Did the Biltmore Dairy Bar give rewards to customers who could eat all of a huge dessert?

User-contributed question by:
Anonymous

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!


Bookmark and Share