Q. I have heard that the BB&T Football Jamboree has provided several college scholarships to local students. Can you tell me more information about the Football Jamboree?
A. The 27th BB&T Football Jamboree will be held Aug. 16 at Legion Stadium, with 10 area high school teams participating in the series of five scrimmages.
The cheerleading showcase will begin at 5 p.m. and the scrimmages will kick off around 6 p.m.
More than 500 students have reportedly received scholarships over the history of the event.
StarNews Sports editor Dan Spears reported the following information on the Varsity Now blog on August 2.
The BB&T Jamboree has raised more than $1 million for local schools since its inception in 1987, including almost $500,000 in student scholarships.
The 2012 scholarship winners recently were announced as well:
- South Brunswick High School: Dylan Mosley – Methodist University; Christopher A. Gotwalt – UNCW.
- South Columbus High School: Ransford D. Bellamy – Benedict; Dakota E. Fowler – Southeastern Community College.
- West Brunswick High School: Hunter B. Howard – UNC-Chapel Hill; Victoria A. Lodge – Campbell.
- Whiteville High School: Christin D. Smith – Southeastern CC; Zachary T. Ward – N.C. State.
- New Hanover High School: Caleb A. Fuller – Appalachian State; Josh P. Barrett – Cape Fear CC.
- Laney High School: Ian M. Bergmann – Wingate; Kendrick J. Johnson – Methodist.
- Hoggard High School: Parker H. Whitlow – East Carolina; Payton R. Collier – N.C. State.
- Wallace-Rose Hill High School: Tyler K. Jones – UNC-Pembroke; Jaquayla D. Robinson – UNC-Pembroke.
- Ashley High School: Randy J. Eller III – Wingate; Daniel T. Mitchell – Cape Fear CC.
- Jacksonville High School: Daniel F.Russell – Coastal Carolina CC; Dana A. Stone – UNC-Pembroke.
Date posted: August 2, 2013
User-contributed question by: