Want to ask a question? Click here

If a tree or large limb on my property falls and blocks a city street, who is responsible for its removal?

Julian March

Q. If a tree or large limb that is on my property falls across and blocks a city street, who is responsible for the removal? The city or the homeowner? If the city does the removal, will the homeowner be billed?

A. Anything on private property is the responsibility of the property owner, according to Malissa Talbert, a city spokeswoman. If a tree or limb falls onto city property, such as a street or sidewalk, you can call the city at 341-7852 to report it. A city crew will remove the debris up to the property line, Talbert said. The city does not bill property owners for removing debris from the public right-of-way or a city-maintained street, she said.


Who’s responsible for picking up my neighbor’s leaves when they fall in my yard?

Are any permits required to cut down trees on my property?


User-contributed question by:

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!

Bookmark and Share

Ask a question

Ask a question

If you’re looking for answers about living in coastal North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place. If we don’t have the answer to your question, we’ll find out or try to find someone who does. Hey, that’s our job! So, ask your question below and we’ll do our best to find the answer. Once we do, we’ll post it in an appropriate category.

Can we use your name to credit you by name (no e-mail or other contact information) with this question when we post an answer?
Your question:

Post a comment

Talk to us!

Have a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Use this form to let us know. Note that all comments are moderated and must be approved before they are posted, although you may see your own comments the first time you post them.

Your comment: