Want to ask a question? Click here

Who can we contact to help remove debris and repair a drainage ditch located on an easement in our neighborhood?

Ryan McGuire

Q. Our neighborhood has an easement behind our homes that contains a drainage ditch. The ditch isn’t included in our property and is clogged due to being filled with yard debris and trash. Who can we contact to help remove the debris and repair the ditch so that it more effectively drains run off?


A. In Wilmington, it is easy for the many drains to become clogged due to build up of debris. The storm water services maintenance division works to keep the complex system of storm drains, pipes, ditches, creeks and culverts clear when necessary. The division’s phone number is 341-4646.

For any other storm water or draining maintenance questions, contact the Public Services Department of Wilmington located at 209 Coleman Drive or call 343-4777.



Is there a fine for putting grass clippings in storm drains in New Hanover County?

Who is responsible for cleaning drainage ditches, the city or the homeowner?


Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!

Bookmark and Share

Ask a question

Ask a question

If you’re looking for answers about living in coastal North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place. If we don’t have the answer to your question, we’ll find out or try to find someone who does. Hey, that’s our job! So, ask your question below and we’ll do our best to find the answer. Once we do, we’ll post it in an appropriate category.

Can we use your name to credit you by name (no e-mail or other contact information) with this question when we post an answer?
Your question:

Post a comment

Talk to us!

Have a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Use this form to let us know. Note that all comments are moderated and must be approved before they are posted, although you may see your own comments the first time you post them.

Your comment: