That’s highly unlikely. While Masonboro Baptist Church was founded in 1856, the church building wasn’t erected until after the Civil War. Before that, many Baptists in the Masonboro area had been meeting at the home of John Hewlett. The Hewlett family burying ground eventually became the church cemetery, behind the church building at 1501 Beasley Road.
UNCW historian Chris Fonvielle, who literally wrote the book about the 1865 Wilmington campaign (“Last Rays of Departing Hope”), has no documentation on churches used as headquarters or hospitals in that area. In an earlier post, Fonvielle noted that Confederate forces had at least two small encampments in the Masonboro area, as well as the larger Camp Davis north of Hewlett’s Creek.
The questioner also asked about a cemetery “behind the church” near the Andrews Reach neighborhood. The Masonboro Baptist cemetery is still there. An old country burial ground, with Confederate and pre-Civil War tombstones, can still be found in the Tyndall subdivision nearby. For a fairly extensive listing of rural New Hanover County cemeteries, with Google maps, check the North Carolina GenWeb site here.
Date posted: December 13, 2012