Want to ask a question? Click here

Why is the timing of the light on 17th street at the Burger King so short?

Jim Ware
StarNews

Q. Why is the timing of the light on 17th street at the Burger King so short? I have watched cars struggle to get through in the morning, but more dangerous are the persons in wheelchairs I have witnessed trying to cross before the light turns green!

A. According to city of Wilmington officials this traffic signal is designed for the movement of vehicular traffic along 17th St and Robinhood Rd.

At this time of the day, the traffic signal timing provides ample time for the demand of vehicular traffic. With more than 1,100 vehicles per hour traveling northbound on 17th St in the morning, 70 percent of the cycle length is assigned to 17th St. The vehicular traffic on Robin Hood is efficiently serviced with the remaining 30 percent.

Pedestrian accommodations/concerns need to be submitted to NCDOT for consideration into this traffic signal plan.

RELATED LINKS:

Which driver has the right of way while turning at a traffic signal?

What is the longest red light in Wilmington? How many stop lights are in service in the city?

User-contributed question by:
Nickie Yow

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!


Bookmark and Share