Want to ask a question? Click here

How can I find out which medals and ribbons I am due from my military service?

Jim Ware


I was recently was on a Honor Flight (for World War II veterans) to Washington, D.C. All of my things were stolen from my trunk so I do not have any service ribbons, etc. May family has made me a scrap book about my Honor Flight. How do I start to trace the metals ribbons, etc., I would have earned in Europe? I was with Third Army, 20th Corps.

A. So how can you find out which medals and ribbons you are due from your military service?

If you have your discharge papers, Department of Defense Form DD214, you will see those medals and ribbons listed on that form.

New Hanover County Veteran Services Officer Ellis Pinder said you can take the form to his office to get help in receiving those medals and ribbons.

If there are any medals or ribbons you believe you are due, but they are not listed on the DD214, Pinder said his office also will be able to track down that information.

The telephone number for Pinder at the Veteran Services Office is (910) 798-7611.

The New Hanover County Veteran Services Office counsels, advises and assists veterans and their families in applying for veteran benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The office is at 230 Government Center Drive, Suite 36, in Wilmington. A satellite office is available for veterans of Pleasure Island from 10 a.m. until noon on the first and third Thursdays of each month at the Katie B. Hines Senior Center in Carolina Beach.

Here’s a link to the Pender County Veterans Services webpage.

And here’s a link to the Brunswick County Veterans Services page.


What local community groups are helping active and former military adjust to civilian life?

What will be in the new building being built on airport property?

User-contributed question by:
William Heise

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!

Bookmark and Share

Ask a question

Ask a question

If you’re looking for answers about living in coastal North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place. If we don’t have the answer to your question, we’ll find out or try to find someone who does. Hey, that’s our job! So, ask your question below and we’ll do our best to find the answer. Once we do, we’ll post it in an appropriate category.

Can we use your name to credit you by name (no e-mail or other contact information) with this question when we post an answer?
Your question:

Post a comment

Talk to us!

Have a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Use this form to let us know. Note that all comments are moderated and must be approved before they are posted, although you may see your own comments the first time you post them.

Your comment: