According to Jon Rosborough, director of Wilmington International Airport, the Army Air Corps moved into Bluethenthal Field on Dec. 8, 1941, and remained for the duration of the war. The airfield was judged inadequate for the operation of military aircraft, so the government expanded the airfield to include the construction of three 7,000 feet runways.
After the war the federal government deeded Bluethenthal Field to New Hanover County at no cost.
In 1950, a large “modern” two-story building was constructed where the current U.S. Customs building is now located, partly over one of these three runways. This runway was decommissioned and ended where the new VA Hospital is being erected on the airport campus.
Date posted: August 21, 2012
User-contributed question by: