Want to ask a question? Click here

How do we turn a private road into a state-maintained road?

Ashley Hanners

Q. I live on a private dirt road in New Hanover County with 5 other homes. How do we turn a private road into a state maintained road?

A. According to the N.C. Department of Transportation, there is a process for roads to be added to the state system, providing the roadway meets certain requirements. A link to the NCDOT’s website to search for forms is listed below.


Once there, type in “SR-1” into the search criteria. This should result in one form: “Petition for Road Addition.” The requirements for addition are listed on the back of the petition. These are instructions for completing the petition:

1. Complete Information Section.

2. Identify Contact Person (This person serves as spokesperson for petitioner(s)).

3. Attach two (2) copies of recorded subdivision plat or property deeds, which refer to candidate road.

4. Adjoining property owners and/or the developer may submit a petition. Subdivision roads with prior NCDOT review and approval only require the developer’s signature.

5. If submitted by the developer, encroachment agreements from all utilities located within the right of way shall be submitted with the petition for Road addition. However, construction plans may not be required at this time.

6. Submit to District Engineer’s Office.

For more information on this petition, contact John Diaz at (910) 251-2655.”

Click here to download a .pdf of the “Petition for Road Addition.”


Can residents who live on a private road close that road to through traffic?

Who is responsible for maintaining street signs along private roads?


User-contributed question by:

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!

Bookmark and Share

Ask a question

Ask a question

If you’re looking for answers about living in coastal North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place. If we don’t have the answer to your question, we’ll find out or try to find someone who does. Hey, that’s our job! So, ask your question below and we’ll do our best to find the answer. Once we do, we’ll post it in an appropriate category.

Can we use your name to credit you by name (no e-mail or other contact information) with this question when we post an answer?
Your question:

Post a comment

Talk to us!

Have a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Use this form to let us know. Note that all comments are moderated and must be approved before they are posted, although you may see your own comments the first time you post them.

Your comment: