Does NHRMC refuse to hire nurses who previously worked there?

Judy Royal
NHRMC logo

New Hanover Regional Medical Center is at 2131 S. 17th St.

“NHRMC does not have a policy against rehiring staff who have worked here in the past, and in fact, does rehire staff when appropriate,” said Erin Balzotti, media relations coordinator for New Hanover Regional Medical Centerin Wilmington. “Our practice is to hire the best candidate for each position.”

View New Hanover Regional Medical Center in a larger map

Sharon Darity

8 Responses to “ Does NHRMC refuse to hire nurses who previously worked there?”

1. On June 18, 2011 at 12:07 am Bill Foster wrote:

NHRMC probably employs the same philosophy as many other businesses in the region do. New hires will work for less money than previously employed workers. It keeps the payroll down.

2. On June 19, 2011 at 9:32 am Sue wrote:

Jack Bartos has verbalized in meeting he holds thru out the hospital “If you leave, you will not be hired back” I really thought that was not true (told to me by other staff, I usually did not get to this meetings. I always worried about that because you where counted and this was viewed for your yearly review, as a nurse I could not leave my patients). Well I retired with plans to come back and work part time but it has not happened, I have applied for 50 plus jobs and have never gotten a call back. When I leave my name and number I don’t even get a call back. Thus unless you plan to retire and never work again in this county, don’t leave your job at NHRMC

3. On June 20, 2011 at 2:44 am anon wrote:

This is a true question. Jack Barto has definitely said in meetings “If you leave, you will not be hired back.” Not fair, when people have had to leave for family or other reasons. The facility is getting ridiculous!

4. On June 20, 2011 at 9:08 am Courtney wrote:

This is a huge concern that really needs further investigation on! We have all heard ‘Our practice is to hire the best candidate for each position’. This is nothing new when you are looking for a job. What gets me, is that NHRMC informs their staff that they will not be rehired after a certain time period and then come out and say you are not the best candidate for the position, this is not consistent. Many people go and further their education by traveling to other facilities or other situations occur. We all know we need great candidates to work in such a hard and demanding job. We really do not have other locations within the Wilmington area to go. NHRMC has a monopoly within our area and they know it!

5. On June 23, 2011 at 8:50 pm Sharon Darity wrote:

I hear what you say, but I know it’s not true! I know personally more than a few people who were not rehired for the same position they held previously. And at least one of these people was commended on the job she did many times over the course of her employment. She was told, when she left NHRMC, in her exit interview that she would be rehireable, if she came back to the area. Lo and behold, she came back and her old position was open. This exemplary RN applied for the position ( and it was before the supposed ‘one year deadline’), but she wasn’t even given an interview. Instead 47 Brand New, Fresh out of Nursing school, nurses were hired? Why would NHRMC do that, except that it was cheaper? I do not feel good about my prospects as a Patient in a facility that prefers brand new grads to experienced NURSES! What kind of care can we really expect?
    As a community, we should be appalled!

6. On June 26, 2011 at 9:43 am Kay E. wrote:

I have been considering getting my nursing (R.N.) license reinstated after a number of years out. I have extensive past experience in critical care and trauma nursing. When I went for the orientation meeting I was told that I may not get hired, afterward, because the hospital mainly hires new graduates. I thought it odd that they would choose a new graduate over someone with my kind of experience. Now, I guess I know why.

It seems that things haven’t changed with hospitals. In my past experience, at other hospitals, I always felt that money was the bottom line. I have always been of the opinion that hospitals are generally satisfied if they have a warm body on the job, regardless of ability.

In addition, nurses are generally overworked and stretched beyond reasonable limits to give proper care to a large number of patients.

I was once employed in a Level One Trauma Emergency Room of a large teaching hospital. Our dept. lost 4 nurses during a 4 week period. The following month we saw an additional 2,000 patients in our E.R. with 4 fewer nurses. Obviously, we were overworked, but we wouldn’t allow someone to go without care. The hospital’s response was that they would not replace the nurses we had lost because we did “such a good job” of shouldering the burden without them. In other words, they could save a few bucks at our expense. This was not exactly a morale booster! I worked the 1:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m. shift and rarely had the opportunity to eat dinner. That was typical for us.

The most generous gift I ever received from a hospital was a Christmas turkey.

I will still make the attempt to go back, because now that I’ve raised my children, I would like to make a difference in someone else’s life.
    I just hope I’m given the chance.

7. On June 28, 2011 at 6:30 am Stanley Outlaw wrote:

Really now, what do you expect from an organization that has the motto “We try to give very good service”? What ever happened to BEST or even EXCELLENT service. They are dealing with peoples lives not making candy. By the way the motto was posted all over the ER the last time I took my wife and believe me they didn’t even give Fair service. They have really gone down hill in the past 3 decades, maybe they should think about who they hire a little harder.

8. On July 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm anon wrote:

At a social setting, one of Jack Barto’s femaile VP’s made it perfectly clear that Jack is insistent that if you leave NHRMC, you won’t be hired back regardless of position. She indicated Jack doesn’t want them back.

Sounds like the people in charge bow to this questionable leadership, but really don’t agree…?