Did there used to be a supermarket in Wilmington named Patricia Ann?

You have a good memory. At one time in the 1950s, there were no less than three Patricia Ann Super Markets scattered around town.

The first Patricia Ann Super Market (later known as Patricia Ann No. 1) was located at 401 Chestnut St., Wilmington [Map this]. It appears in city directories from 1950 through 1964.

Patricia Ann Super Market No. 2 was at 2703 Carolina Beach Road, Wilmington [Map this], from the mid-1950s through 1961.

Patricia Ann Super Market No. 3 operated for a few years at 607 Mercer Ave., Wilmington [Map this].

Lenwood M. King, Norman A. Merritt and E.L. Beckham were managers at one or another of the stores for much of that time.

Sorry, but we couldn’t find a clue as to why the groceries were named “Patricia Ann,” but it seems to be a popular name around here. Patricia Ann’s Ltd. was a clothing store at 1601 S. College Road, Wilmington [Map this], during the 1970s; Patricia Ann’s was a gallery and frame shop at 4209 Oleander Drive, Wilmington [Map this], in the 1980s and ’90s.

Pat Davis

11 Responses to “ Did there used to be a supermarket in Wilmington named Patricia Ann?”

1. On June 3, 2011 at 6:49 pm Stanley Outlaw wrote:

I believe the Patricia Ann on Mercer Avenue was owned by a Mister Strong or Strom, not sure about the spelling, that lived on Wayne Drive. It was later a Red and White. Also was located at the corner of Mercer and Wrightsville Avenues. The building is still there though much modified.

2. On June 4, 2011 at 7:55 am Doris Rich wrote:

I recall that it was named after Patricia Ann Meritt who was the daughter of the owner. I think some of the family was killed in an automobile accident but I’m not sure who it was.

3. On June 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm bob farmer wrote:

Stanley Outlaw is mostly right, however the Patricia Ann Store on Mercer Avenus was not Operated by the Straughn family until after it became a Red and White. It was a Patricia Ann prior to that and I remember fondly having the cover of the awning, to roll my morning papers, when it rained. That and the Community Grill and Jackson’s 66 service station were about the only commercial concerns in that area.

4. On June 5, 2011 at 10:38 pm Donald Godwin wrote:

The original store was Merritt’s Open Air Market at Fourth and Chestnut in the early 40’s. Mr. Merritt converted that store to a super market and named it after his daughter Paticia Ann. He later added the store on Carolina Beach Road as Patricia Ann #2. Norman A. Merritt was one of his son’s. The other son was named Bobby who was a fishing boat captain at Wrightsville Beach. Mr. Merritt was killed in an automobile wreck at Lake Waccamaw in the lat 40’s or early 50’s

5. On June 6, 2011 at 12:58 am CARL O`SULLIVAN wrote:

the patrica ann open air market at fourth and chestnut st. was named for his daughter patrica ann merritt.it was this store that YANK STEWERT robbed was put in jail and escaped and proclaimed an outlaw where he could be shot on sight.

6. On June 7, 2011 at 3:06 pm Danni Long wrote:

I don’t remember the Patricia Ann stores because I did not grow up in Wilmington. I do however remember coming to town at least twice a year to Sue Anne Shoes to buy my Buster Browns and get an egg from the golden goose!

7. On January 14, 2012 at 2:47 am Rosie ( Merritt) Lewis wrote:

The comment make by Donald Godwin on June 5, 2011 about Patricia Ann Stores is the correct one.I was married to Norman A Merritt Jr, until his death when he was 42 yrs. old. Mr. Merritt Sr. also created Carolina Treat Barbecue Sauce and was sole owner of it until it was sold after his death.

8. On February 4, 2012 at 11:15 am Richard wrote:

Danni – it was actually Su-Ann Shoes. See http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19901117&id=mrMsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uiYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5596,606688

9. On April 1, 2012 at 9:58 pm DEBBIE wrote:

it was the Strawn family …

10. On September 17, 2014 at 10:13 pm julia ashburn spencer wrote:

The accident that killed Mr. Merrit also killed Camille Ellis and her mother.I cannot remember who else was killed. I remember Patricia once danced with the Rockets I think! Camille was my best friend and took dancing from Ms.Belcher.They were on their way to a recital.

11. On January 6, 2018 at 8:34 am Eddie Smith wrote:

Oh my going down memory lane some more. I remember, I guess I was about 7 and I would ride with my grandmother to the Patricia Ann at 401 Chestnut St to buy barbecued chickens. They were fresh, hot and that would be the main course for our evening meal. They also had several items and specials that she would also pick-up. I know we would almost go at least 2 sometimes 3 times in a month. To my knowledge the store located at 401 Chestnut St. was still serving customers when I joined the military and left home, and that was a very long time ago. One thing you never loose are your memories from childhood. I just want to say thanks to StarNews for the great work with things about the old Wilmington where I grew up and lived. I would so like to make a trip back to sight see but I doubt that will happen. Memories, they are precious and dear and I find my computer is a huge link to my past. Google maps, live street view is wonderful.