Want to ask a question? Click here

Can city council members be elected by wards instead of citywide?

Ken Little

The Wilmington City Council can change from the current non-partisan, at-large election format to another system in one of two ways, city spokeswoman Malissa Talbert said.

One method is by approval of the N.C. General Assembly (via a bill) to amend the city charter.

The other way is for city council to approve an ordinance to change the city’s form of government.

Both options are outlined in N.C. General Statutes 160A-101 and 160A-102.

User-contributed question by:

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!

Bookmark and Share

Ask a question

Ask a question

If you’re looking for answers about living in coastal North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place. If we don’t have the answer to your question, we’ll find out or try to find someone who does. Hey, that’s our job! So, ask your question below and we’ll do our best to find the answer. Once we do, we’ll post it in an appropriate category.

Can we use your name to credit you by name (no e-mail or other contact information) with this question when we post an answer?
Your question:

Post a comment

Talk to us!

Have a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Use this form to let us know. Note that all comments are moderated and must be approved before they are posted, although you may see your own comments the first time you post them.

Your comment: