Want to ask a question? Click here

May a person serve on the Historic Preservation Commission if his or her primary residence is in New Hanover County and not in Wilmington’s city limits?

Shelby Sebens

A person must reside within the city of Wilmington to serve on the Historic Preservation Commission, according to Assistant City Attorney Dolores Williams. But, “people can have two residences,” she added. As long as the person actually lives in the Wilmington home and does not rent, they are allowed to serve on the commission.

The nine-member board is made up of at least three members who reside within a locally designated historic separate use district, one member who is a resident in a locally designated historic overlay district, one member who owns a business within the historic district and four members at large, according to city code.

User-contributed question by:

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!

Bookmark and Share

Ask a question

Ask a question

If you’re looking for answers about living in coastal North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place. If we don’t have the answer to your question, we’ll find out or try to find someone who does. Hey, that’s our job! So, ask your question below and we’ll do our best to find the answer. Once we do, we’ll post it in an appropriate category.

Can we use your name to credit you by name (no e-mail or other contact information) with this question when we post an answer?
Your question:

Post a comment

Talk to us!

Have a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Use this form to let us know. Note that all comments are moderated and must be approved before they are posted, although you may see your own comments the first time you post them.

Your comment: