Colors used by utilities are standardized, said Larry Brooks of Progress Energy.
According to Brooks:
• Red indicates electric power lines, cables, conduits and lighting cables.
• Yellow is for gas, oil, steam, petroleum or gaseous material.
• Orange indicates communication lines and cable TV, alarm or signal lines or conduits.
• Blue means potable water.
• Green is for sewer or drain lines.
• White denotes proposed excavation.
• Pink indicates temporary survey markings.
• Purple is for reclaimed water, irrigation or slurry lines.
“Call 811 before you dig,” Brooks said.
Date posted: September 16, 2010
User-contributed question by: