Want to ask a question? Click here

Do you have to have a permit to sell food from a roadside booth?

Vicky Eckenrode

You do in New Hanover County, according to health department officials.

“You would need a permit if you serve potentially hazardous food,” said Alicia Pickett, with the health department’s environmental health division. “That would be a restaurant or a food stand, possible a mobile food unit or a push cart. A push cart would only serve hot dogs.”

Pickett said the health board also has rules regulating vehicles that sell seafood on the side of the road.

Roadside food vendors are not allowed in the unincorporated parts of Brunswick County because of zoning rules. Some municipalities, like Southport and Leland, do allow the booths.

User-contributed question by:
Pat Ray

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!

Bookmark and Share

Ask a question

Ask a question

If you’re looking for answers about living in coastal North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place. If we don’t have the answer to your question, we’ll find out or try to find someone who does. Hey, that’s our job! So, ask your question below and we’ll do our best to find the answer. Once we do, we’ll post it in an appropriate category.

Can we use your name to credit you by name (no e-mail or other contact information) with this question when we post an answer?
Your question:

Post a comment

Talk to us!

Have a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Use this form to let us know. Note that all comments are moderated and must be approved before they are posted, although you may see your own comments the first time you post them.

Your comment: