N.C. State Ports Authority officials last month put on hold plans for a deepwater megaport near Southport, but they said an international port in the state remains a possibility.
Carl Stewart Jr., chairman of the Ports Authority Board of Directors, said the board would take a fresh look at port prospects in North Carolina in light of recent events. That could mean eyeing new properties along the coast, expanding existing ports at Morehead City or Wilmington, or again considering the Brunswick County location.
The port project had encountered obstacles including the loss of a private partner, the failure of the N.C. General Assembly to pay for a feasibility study and opposition of U.S. Rep. Mike McIntyre, D-Lumberton.
For more on the port issue, go to www.StarNewsOnline.com/port.
Date posted: August 9, 2010
User-contributed question by:
Sanford L. Korschun