Whatever happened to Genevieve Barker of WECT-TV?

Judy Royal

Journalist and broadcasting veteran Genevieve Barker left WECT and WSFX in Wilmington, where she was a news anchor, in July 2010.

“I’m sorry, but we do not comment on personnel (or personal) matters,” said Gary McNair, vice president and general manager of WECT.

“She finished working with us at the end of July. No specifics will be made available,” McNair added.

Barker began her broadcast work in the 1990s at WSOC in Charlotte, moving to WBTV to anchor overnights. She left in 1992 to join WECT, where she remained until 1999.

Barker began her on-air duties at WECT in September 2008.

Before joining WECT, Barker worked as a Hollywood producer for “Dancing with the Stars.” She also worked with actresses Jane Seymour and Jennie Garth as well as Spice Girl Melanie Brown, race car driver Helio Castroneves and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

Barker is a graduate of the Dana Hall School in Wellesley, Mass., as well as the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

8 Responses to “ Whatever happened to Genevieve Barker of WECT-TV?”

1. On August 24, 2010 at 4:32 am Anne Russell wrote:

We miss Genevieve Barker’s mature delivery of the news, and we wish her well in her new career path.

2. On August 25, 2010 at 8:29 am Steven Hall wrote:

What a huge loss for WECT! What’s going on over there at that station? Best wishes to Genevieve!

3. On August 25, 2010 at 9:26 pm Rachel wrote:

It saddens my heart to see that my favorite newsperson has left. Genevieve was such a shinning star to your lineup and an outstanding broadcaster. As a woman, we relate to other women and you can imagine that we think of Genevieve as one with Oprah, Diane Sawyer and Katie Couric. She will be surely missed.

4. On August 25, 2010 at 10:02 pm Shirley wrote:

Genevieve will be sorely missed. She was not only an intelligent and dependable person, but also highly respected in her field as a great news anchor. I will truly miss ending my day by watching Genevieve on WSFX. I wish her the very best of luck in the future.

5. On September 7, 2010 at 5:42 pm Brian wrote:

Travesty!!

6. On December 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm Natasha wrote:

We enjoyed her and will miss her. Why is it that WECT lets the good ones go. George, Craig, Jim and Chris. I guess I will have start watching WWAY.

7. On February 10, 2011 at 12:20 am Linda McKernan wrote:

It seems like employees of WECT have fallen like flies since Mr. McNair took over the rains of our port city TV Station. First George Elliott, numerous weather and sports casters now Ms Barker. Makes us wonder when Francis Weller will be replaced by some new (young)anchor. Goodness knows every time we tune in there is a new young female reportin.
    Long time watcher

8. On April 6, 2013 at 7:20 pm Charles wrote:

I believe I just saw her in one of the trailers for Iron Man 3 playing a news reporter.