Is Dr. Rowena Sidbury Hall still alive?

Yes. According to local relatives, Dr. Hall is living in a retirement community near her daughter’s home in northern Virginia.

Born in Wilmington in 1918, the former Julia Rowena Sidbury was the daughter of Dr. James Buren Sidbury (1886-1967), the pioneering pediatrician and founder of Babies Hospital at Wrightsville Beach, and his wife, the former Willie Wellington Daniel.

She graduated from Duke University and in 1943 earned her M.D. degree from Johns Hopkins University. As Dr. Rowena Sidbury Hall, she served her residency at Babies Hospital and collaborated with her father on several papers for the Journal of Pediatrics. She practiced pediatrics for many years in Wilmington, with an office at 15 N. Fifth Ave. In 1951, she was president of N.C. Pediatric Society.

Dr. Hall later served on the pediatrics faculty at Johns Hopkins and was a staff pediatrician at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. For many years, she worked with the public health department in Montgomery County, Md. In 2002, she established a scholarship in pediatrics at Johns Hopkins for women in pediatrics.

A marriage to Robert McCue Hall ended in divorce in 1951. The couple had one daughter, Rowena Daniel Hall, born in 1947.

Dr. Hall’s brother, Dr. J. Buren Sidbury Jr. (born 1922) also became a physician and was a longtime professor of pediatrics at Duke University.

Rowena Daughtrey
Rowena Daughtrey

6 Responses to “ Is Dr. Rowena Sidbury Hall still alive?”

1. On June 19, 2010 at 8:57 pm Beth Bellamy wrote:

Rowena is one of my best friends. We have printed this and will mail to her, and will ask if she would like to add more info. She doesn’t have email. We have emailed this to Danny, her daughter, too. Rowena is doing well. I go to MD from WV to see her every couple of months.

2. On June 20, 2010 at 11:29 am Robert Roche wrote:

My brother and I went to her father Dr. Sidbury in the 50’s but my mother changed us over to Dr Hall later on I remember her office was behind the Dairy Queen on Dawson St.

3. On June 21, 2010 at 12:41 pm rowena daughtrey wrote:

My mother was talking about her recently and said what a compasionate dr she was and was wondering if she was still alive. When some of my siblings were sick and had to be put in the babies hosptial, Dr Hall would also have an older sibling stay with us in the room.

My father named me after her because he was so impressed with her. He also wanted my middle name to be Hall but my mother put her foot down and my middle name became Lynn.

4. On June 21, 2010 at 2:01 pm Emily (Ives) Wise wrote:

I remember Dr. Sidbury. He was my Doctor when i was a child. Seems that his office was Fifth St. Could it have been the same location where Dr. Hall’s office was? I recall that it was in the basement of a house. That was a long, long time ago. My Reporter keeps bringing back good memories of my childhood days living in Wilmington.

5. On March 28, 2015 at 2:11 pm Joseph B. Pace wrote:

Dr. Rowena Sidbury Hall Linart passed away on March 27th at her home in Maryland, she was 96 years old. She was the daughter of the founder of Babies Hospital on Wrightsville Sound, the late Dr. J. Buren
    Sidbury and she is the sister of Billie Sidbury Little of Wilmington. Dr. Rowena also has a living daughter, Rowena Daniel Hall, residing in Virginia. Her passing is the end of a major era in pioneering Pediatric medicine in Wilmington, North Carolina that was championed by her
    father and herself. Dr. Sidbury and Dr. Hall had much influence and impact on what is now the Pediatrics Department at Duke University in Durham North Carolina. Many of the procedures that were installed at Duke University were originally created and tried at Babies Hospital
    at Wrightsville Sound by Dr. Sidbury and Dr. Hall. My condolences are many to the Sidbury, Hall, and Little families. May the blessings of the Wilmington, North Carokina community be with these families at this time of their loss.

Joseph B. Pace
    Wilmington, North Carolina

6. On April 10, 2015 at 1:35 pm Barbara O. Wright wrote:

RIP Dr. Hall. My deepest sympathy goes out to Danny & her family. Your mother was an extra ordinary healer and much loved by all my family through out many years. She diagnosed and treated our daughter, Donna Leigh Wright. before her death in 1960. There are not many physician that have her compassion for treating their patients. She may be gone, but never forgotten. Barbara