Want to ask a question? Click here

Does UNCW plan to offer art education as a major?

Andrew Dunn

There are no plans to offer an art education major at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. But UNCW students hoping to become art teachers are not out of luck.

To become an art teacher in North Carolina public schools, the most common way is to complete an approved art education program and then pass two subject area tests, according to the N.C. Department of Public Instruction.

But if students complete a different teacher licensing program at UNCW, they can take the tests to add art education to their license, said Hank Weddington, associate dean for academic programs at the UNCW Watson School of Education. To help prepare, UNCW offers a cluster of art education classes.

If the student wants the traditional art education major, there is no shortage of programs in North Carolina.

In the UNC system, the program is offered at Appalachian State University, East Carolina University, Elizabeth City State University, N.C. Agricultural & Technical University, N.C. Central University, UNC-Asheville, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Greensboro, UNC-Pembroke, Western Carolina University and Winston-Salem State University.

In the private schools, they are at Barton College, Brevard College, Greensboro College, High Point University, Lenoir-Rhyne University, Mars Hill College, Meredith College, Methodist University and Wingate University.

For a list of which schools offer approved programs in certain subject areas, visit www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/ihe/approved/directory.pdf

User-contributed question by:

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!

Bookmark and Share