What happened to WWAY news anchor Steve Rondinaro?

WWAY’s evening anchor, Steve Rondinaro, said goodbye to leading the station’s newscast on April 15.

His contract was extended until spring so he could be on-air for the Azalea Festival.

The anchor, who has been with the channel for three years, said budget cuts were the reason his contract was not renewed, pointing out that the staff has slowly been reduced since he first started at the station.

Meanwhile he is looking for work in the area. “I’m invested in the community,” he said. “I’m looking in broadcast journalism, media and PR.”

Richard Uhlman and Nancy Brice

19 Responses to “ What happened to WWAY news anchor Steve Rondinaro?”

1. On April 16, 2010 at 4:50 am Anne Russell wrote:

Sorry to lose Steve Rondinaro. I liked seeing him anchor the news. Hope he finds more work here in our fair city, as I also like running into him at Harris Teeter.

2. On April 16, 2010 at 2:05 pm Bobby wrote:

Steve was an awesome news anchor, the thing I like about him most was his mild sense of humor and calm, happy demeanor, which didn’t take away from his presentation of the news.

Whenever I watched him I said to myself “He definitely enjoys his job” which is hard to find in a lot of occupations these days.

He will be a huge loss for WWAY, I’ll still tune in to WWAY from time to time, but WECT will be now my first source for TV Local news.

3. On April 16, 2010 at 7:43 pm Vinny wrote:

Why don’t they hire Ricky Meeks to do the news?

4. On April 17, 2010 at 12:43 am Richard Meeks wrote:

If you let me do the news…my wide girth can do the sports…news and weather all at once.

5. On April 18, 2010 at 4:50 pm J W wrote:

I grew up watching Steve Rondinaro in Orlando and seeing him on air when I moved to Wilmington made me feel at home. I only watched WWAY because he was an anchor, very sad news

6. On April 19, 2010 at 11:52 pm David Jewel wrote:

Always my luck I remember Steve when he ran and was on MTN up in Boone and then left the Mtns to the coast and now hes gone again.. Wherever he lands will be lucky to have him

7. On April 21, 2010 at 11:35 pm Alexander Middleton wrote:

Fire the best, keep the cheapest…not a way to build a following for the news. I enjoyed him in Orlando, and I was pleasantly surprised he was here when we came to town 3 plus years ago. I wish Steve the very best. He is a true professional.

8. On April 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm Lillie wrote:

Miss Steve Rondinaro. He was a great anchor. I will watch wway some but I will swith to wect for news. Hope he finds work in the area

9. On April 24, 2010 at 9:30 am Roger Walters wrote:

Steve Rondinaro is in a class by himself. A distinguished newsman, he was WWAY. Can’t believe the GM let him go, even after he started the Italian Festival in Leland. Isn’t that the way corporate America works – they use you up then kick you to the curb and you think you are part of a family but it ends up all being “Just business.”

All I can say is that it is WWAY’s loss. Steve, if you are reading this I want you to know that we all embrace you and wish you luck in your search for new opportunity. Go get ’em and keep your chin up. I agree that whoever hires Steve will be truly lucky to have him.

10. On April 24, 2010 at 11:49 am Mac53 wrote:

One of the best anchors that I have had the pleasure to watch over the years. Watched the “Old Wilmington” channel for a number of years until Steve showed up, then becoming a regular viewer of WWAY. Very, very professional and never gave the impression that he was reading from script or teleprompter. IMO this gentleman could compete with the best of ’em including Cronkite, Brokaw and others … Major loss to WWAY and the area.

11. On April 25, 2010 at 3:04 pm JD wrote:

Steve Rondinaro is just one in a long line of many that WWAY has seen fit to ‘let go’. The company that owns the station does not want to spend the money it takes to run a good tv station. They let Gene Motley go because they ‘couldn’t afford him’ which is more like they didn’t want to spend the money to keep good talent going. Jon Evans left because he didn’t like the way things were going and because the station wanted to CUT his salary. Glad to have Jon over at WECT!!! WWAY is going down hill and has been for some time now. It will only be a matter of time before we are all saying ‘Didn’t there used to be another tv station in town that did the news?? What were they called again?’

12. On April 25, 2010 at 7:41 pm Ted French wrote:

I can’t believe WWAY would be so short sighted to let a pro like Steve go. He and Chris and Ann McAdams made that news team superior to the competition. If they wanted to reduce his salary and have him do less work would of been better than letting him go completely.
    Since he wants to stay in area maybe that could be worked out. WECT surely isn’t going to hire him and WILM doesn’t have local news. Where else would he go in the media.

13. On April 25, 2010 at 11:42 pm robert prunty wrote:

It was really a sneaky way to get rid of Steve. You should have fired some of those hires who really don’t know what the are doing. I will watch chanel 10 sometimes but not often. You now can’t compete with chanel 7. Why don’ you sell out to someone who can afford to have first class reporters!!!

14. On May 17, 2010 at 5:31 pm Barb Ericson wrote:

Stop watching now that Steve is gone. The new format doesn’t work for me.

15. On June 30, 2010 at 6:10 pm john wrote:

How can you say there are budget cuts and let an anchor go. Its not like Ann is up there by herself. Dont let someone go and REPLACE him and say its budget cuts! Let them go and have just ONE anchor!

16. On July 27, 2010 at 6:13 pm Suzanne Carroll wrote:

I contacted the station and asked them why they would replace Steve with the robot they hired and they tried to make out like Steve quit. When I questioned that, they had some very unflattering things to say about him. I told them it was their loss. So after Steve was let go, there was only one reason why I still bothered to tune in and that was Chris Phillips. Now they have gotten rid of him and promoted that boring Jerry to Chief Meteorologist. They also demoted Megan Torjessun who I thought had great screen chemistry with both Chris and Steve and enjoyed watching them both on the regular newscast and on the Cape Fear Pride series. The management at that station are a collective bunch of idiots to replace this on air talent with what they now have. Let someone else watch channel 3. I am done with it.

17. On July 29, 2010 at 12:22 am Bobby wrote:

Well maybe WILM will start a local newscast soon, and Rondo can do news, Phillips can do weather and Meagan can bolt from WWAY to do the news with Rondo,

I never met any of those people I have just mentioned, but I always felt like they were part of my family when I watched them on WWAY.

I have only lived in Wilmington since November, but boy they sure connected with me.

I also agree with a previous poster, Greg Privett is a robot, and ditto goes for Jerry Jackson,

I’m very saddened by this, I think WWAY does a way better job with local news than WECT.

but if they continue to get rid of quality individuals there ratings will suffer and we may be a one station newscast town.

With WECT, I feel like I’m watching a national newscast, with all the non-Wilmington stories they show!

I think Joe Mauceri and Haley Winslow deserve promotions to anchors, and lets get Meagan back on @ 5 PM too!

18. On March 9, 2011 at 7:05 am Gloria wrote:

Steve I sure miss you not being on WWAY. The station sure lost the best anchor they have had in years. I always looked for your smile when time to watch the news. Your my favorite local anchor. You sure are missed. WWAY lost big time when you left. I now watch other channells to get my news. Just not the same with out Steve for sure . WWAY bring Steve back

19. On June 8, 2011 at 10:34 am Nick wrote:

Memo to WWAY Management:
    Why pay for ANY on-screen talent? Just feed a dog peanut butter and show him chewing it, with a voice-over of the news. It will look like he’s speaking! Your cost: a little dog food. How’s THAT for a cost cutting idea?
    (I think the station manager is salivating right now).