Want to ask a question? Click here

What can I do if I think a local politician has violated a law?

Patrick Gannon

The voting booth is always a great way for voters to punish politicians for their actions. It happens all the time.

But the remedy or punishment for a violation of the law by the mayor and city council depends on exactly what law you believe was broken. If an elected official took a bribe, for example, that could be a criminal offense and a call to the district attorney might be appropriate. The office of Ben David, district attorney for New Hanover and Pender counties, can be reached at 341-1400. But violations of laws such as open meetings or public records laws all have specific remedies. A call to a local attorney would point you in the right direction regarding which particular law and which particular avenue you’d take for trying to hold the politician accountable for his or her actions.

User-contributed question by:

Got a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Click here to let us know!

Bookmark and Share

Ask a question

Ask a question

If you’re looking for answers about living in coastal North Carolina, you’ve come to the right place. If we don’t have the answer to your question, we’ll find out or try to find someone who does. Hey, that’s our job! So, ask your question below and we’ll do our best to find the answer. Once we do, we’ll post it in an appropriate category.

Can we use your name to credit you by name (no e-mail or other contact information) with this question when we post an answer?
Your question:

Post a comment

Talk to us!

Have a comment about this post or know more about the answer? Use this form to let us know. Note that all comments are moderated and must be approved before they are posted, although you may see your own comments the first time you post them.

Your comment: