Kellen Moore

Wrecks aren’t fun. They can become even more of a headache if someone involved is uninsured.

Let’s assume you are the insured driver. If the person at fault in a collision is uninsured or doesn’t have enough insurance to cover the bills, someone still has to pay for your damages. This could be the situation if a moped is at fault because moped drivers are not required to have insurance in North Carolina.

But no matter the type of vehicle, the damage to your car could be covered if you have “uninsured motorist” coverage, said Kristin Milam, director of public information for the N.C. Department of Insurance.

That coverage can pay for injuries and sometimes property damage when the person responsible for the wreck doesn’t have any or enough insurance, or if their claim is denied, according to www.insurance.com.

If you don’t have uninsured motorist coverage, you might have to sue the at-fault driver in civil court if you want to get money for your damages.

To be absolutely certain, it’s best to contact your insurance provider and ask about that company’s specific rules in situations with uninsured drivers.

Gary Moore

11 Responses to “ Why aren’t moped drivers required to have insurance? Who pays if a moped is at fault in an accident?”

1. On November 4, 2009 at 9:49 pm Lee wrote:

You can’t buy insurance for a moped, I tried when I bought one a few years ago. I was told at the time your home owners insurance covered them but I don’t think that’s accurate

2. On January 1, 2010 at 7:54 pm Me wrote:

They should not be allowed on the roads. Most riders don’t have a license, they don’t have insurance and are supposed to stay at the edge of the right lane. How many times have you seen one in the middle of a lane or even in the left lane? They should be ticketed.

3. On April 9, 2010 at 4:49 pm Bryan wrote:

I’m skeptical of the claim that mopeds “are supposed to stay at the edge of the right lane.” That’s not the law with bicycles, so I don’t see why it would be with scooters/mopeds.

4. On August 5, 2010 at 2:58 pm B. Williams wrote:

Always be patient while driving, if you hit a bicyclist or moped rider there is a good chance they will die, and guilty or not you’ll have to live with that. Legally, a bicycle or moped has the same right to the road as a car, unless there is a minimum speed limit such as on interstates. No bikes or mopeds on interstates, but around town and even on a 55 MPH section, they are allowed to ride there. Just sit back and be cool, and pass when you can safely do so.

5. On August 31, 2010 at 6:03 am Dan wrote:

6. On September 8, 2010 at 10:03 pm Lee wrote:

” On August 31, 2010 at 6:03 am Dan wrote:
    This is a great question. Unfortunately, the response doesn’t answer the question. It does not explain why moped drivers aren’t required to have insurance. Further, I don’t understand why a drivers license isn’t required to operate these mopeds/scooters. They drive on major roads at the same speeds as cars (at least they try to go the same speed as cars). I have often seen them operated dangerously and in locations where it is unwise to use them. It is also my understanding that the owners pay no vehicle taxes.”

Because the law doesn’t require it and none of the insurance companies will sell it. They won’t sell a policy for a bicycle either which is what a 49cc scooter qualifies as. I’ve tried to get a policy, no go and I do have a valid clean driver’s license.
    These bikes used to have pedals and were really a ‘moped’ that could be pedaled. (if only slowly)
    These scooters that are popular now have kind of slid in under the radar there because they are still only 49cc. Some of them are capable of hitting almost 40 mph wide open once the engine gets broke in and if the bike is a lightweight version. The law requires them to stay under 30 but running 35 they can at least keep up with traffic most of the time.

They don’t require a driver’s license for the same reason a bicycle doesn’t require one. They have no more ‘get up and go’ capability than a good rider on a bicycle does.
    There are quite a few people around here that can pedal close to 30 mph on a road style type bike. I’m disabled and ride a 49cc engine assisted recumbent trike. Same horsepower as a regular scooter but geared to go that fast. No I don’t pay taxes on my trike other than when I bought the parts to build it. I do pay taxes on the gallon or two of gas I use in it a month though when running around doing errands.
    If you see a scooter going faster than about 40 mph down a flat road, that’s probably NOT a legal 49cc scooter but a 125cc or bigger ‘motorcycle’ that is probably unregistered, unlicensed and uninsured…. stay far away from them as you can!
    As far as operating dangerously or in locations where it is unwise to use them, well some people are always going to do that no matter if they are on two wheels or setting inside four.

7. On April 24, 2011 at 1:22 pm Leavy H. { Buddy} Sellers wrote:

Why in the heck don”t you leave people alone;; Ain”t we having A hard enough time just trying to live;; Some smart gov. worker is allways trying to think of getting some kind of tax money out of people…..

8. On September 25, 2011 at 8:04 pm Angela wrote:

95% of people on mopeds have had dui’s and dwi’s and have lost their license for awhile. This is just away for them to get around the system since they can’t drive a car. If you don’t have license you can’t get insurance. If you wreck with one, like I almost did, because he was riding drunk, and come over in the left lane where I went to go around himbut I avoided taking him out, I called 911 and the cop caught him and the last I saw he was testing him. If you see one driving irratically call 911 and give the location.Call your congress leaders about changing it, but it was done for some of the past leaders family members who got caught

9. On October 24, 2013 at 10:02 pm Holland wrote:

Interested in learning about moped operators and how they are monitored by the state when they have accidents. They have no insurance or driving points to go up and pay for. Can they keep getting speeding tickets until the end of time since they have no liscense to lose ?

10. On June 12, 2015 at 5:19 pm Sharon wrote:

South Carolina also does not require mopeds to have insurance, but it’s silly not to have it. I insure 2 bikes, a 50cc and a 150cc for a whopping $140 a YEAR. It’s not expensive. I use Progressive, so yes, you CAN insure a moped. Also, no 95% of people on mopeds are not DUIs. I’ve never had any traffic violations at all. Mopeds are cheap and they get great gas mileage. They’re popular here with people who can’t afford a car and with students. Some people with DUIs do drive them, but not legally. You have to have either a driver’s license or a moped license to drive one. Insurance isn’t required, but people are careless around mopeds and some will push you off the road or hit you on purpose. Just today I got hit and the guy didn’t stop. Without insurance I’d be on the hook for my medical bills and the cost of the bike. Most accidents you get in on a moped are caused by people who don’t want you on the road so either pretend you aren’t there or try to force you off the road. Lack of insurance hurts YOU more than anyone else. A brand new moped is cheap to insure, so not having insurance is just foolish!