Where do our congressional representatives stand on healthcare reform?

Vicky Eckenrode

While all three of the lawmakers who represent Southeastern North Carolina in Washington, D.C., agree the country’s health-care system needs to be changed to make health insurance more accessible and affordable, they vary in how strongly they support the leading reform proposals being debated in Congress.

There are several bills on the issue being worked on in various Congressional committees.

Sen. Kay Hagan, D-N.C., voted July 15 for the first bill that cleared a committee, while Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., vote against the legislation.

Both are members of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, where the bill split along party lines.

The legislation included a public health insurance option, which, as a government-sponsored plan to compete against private insurers, is one of the more controversial pieces of the reform debate as well as a penalty for employers with more than 25 workers who do not provide health insurance.

Burr favors an alternative proposal giving individuals a tax credit that he believes will help make coverage more affordable.

Hagan, who supported the committee’s bill, also successfully sponsored an amendment to remove the employer penalties for small family farms that hire seasonal workers.

Meanwhile on the House side – where two committees passed bills July 17 — Rep. Mike McIntyre, a Democrat who represents the Wilmington area, has been wary to endorse some of his party’s reform suggestions.

“I am concerned that many of the leading proposals in the current health care reform debate will not solve the problems we face.  Health care reform is needed. However, if we simply expand coverage in the current system, we do nothing to fix its broken foundation,” said McIntyre, a member of the Blue Dog Coalition of moderate and conservative Democrats.

McIntyre said he wants any reform bill to include the following provisions:

· Allow patients the right to choose their doctor;

· Allow citizens to keep health insurance plans they currently have or choose another one that better suits their needs;

·  Be paid for without penalizing those who are providing jobs through small business that can help get our economy moving again; and

·  Not bankrupt our system with economic irresponsibility.

ON THE WEB:

U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan http://hagan.senate.gov

U.S. Sen. Richard Burr http://burr.senate.gov

U.S. Rep. Mike McIntyre www.house.gov/mcintyre/

8 Responses to “ Where do our congressional representatives stand on healthcare reform?”

1. On July 18, 2009 at 9:00 am bill purser wrote:

burr,has been agaunst health in any form,however he knows to keep his hand off third rail.evidently he is lost cause,until next election.thank god for kay hagan,collectively we have chance of reducing prices,otherwise,we don’t stand chance bill purser

2. On July 21, 2009 at 9:11 am Scott wrote:

The ultimate question is how to pay for the reform. The Democrats want the tax payers to pay for it and to be honest, I do not want to pay for anyone’s health care besides my own family’s health care. It will be the same thing as Social Security meainig I am paying for the current retirees retirement and will not see any of that money that I am currently paying into Social Secruity. We need more members of Congress that do not promote social welfare and redistribution of wealth.

3. On July 27, 2009 at 8:07 am Stacy Rush wrote:

I am against health care reform. I do not want to pay for every ones health care. Take the time to check out facebook. The place Obama used during his election. 70% are against healthcare reform. The only ones wanting it are the ones that do not work…. I have read bill and I am watching to see which one of my congressmen pass the bill, I will not vote for them. I as well as the Majority of American people are going to vote out those that vote for it.. It is time to clean out our house of those that are damaging our future… by not electing you back..

4. On July 28, 2009 at 1:59 pm Jim wrote:

Facebook? Seriously…? Here’s how we fix health care: eliminate the For-Profit industry and go to a single payer system where everyone is covered.

5. On August 16, 2009 at 10:22 am Ann wrote:

There is no question that health care reform is needed. I have worked for a large organization and am blessed to have health care. I have also seen it run as a profit making endeavor for the insurance companies. I believe health care should be affordable for all americans. Just as we provide education to every citizen thru the 12th grade health care is also a necessity as we need a healthy educated workforce. My fear is that the question of how to pay for it will stall this process. Health care should be affordable but not necessarily free. The fact that 45 million americans are currently without any means of health , in my opinion, is an embarrassment to a country as great as ours.

6. On August 25, 2009 at 9:52 am Glenn Cox wrote:

I am in favor of the health care bill with the public option.
    However when you have our elected officials receiving money from the insurance companies, how do you think there going to vote.Plus our elected officials have a much better health care program that costs them little or nothing for life. You can voice your opinion all you want.
    We have the best politicians money can buy.

7. On August 25, 2009 at 11:54 am JACK W. BARNES wrote:

PROVIDE ALL CITIZENS WITH MEDICARE AND I MEAN ALL INCLUDING CONGRESS AND THE WHITE HOUSE. ALL PAY THE SAME. IS THIS NOT A SIMPLE SOLUTION? THE 20% COPAY SHOULD ELIMINATE THE OVERFLOW IN DOCTORS OFFICES. ALL ILLEGALS SHOULD BE DENIED COVERAGE.

8. On November 30, 2011 at 6:22 pm Ram wrote:

I do not want to pay for anyone elses healthcare and living. My wife and I have worked for over 38 years, all the time contributing to Social Security and then Medicare. These two programs are NOT “Entitlemenys” They are “Payables” to people like us. We want EXACTLY what we built our futures on. No more, no less. As for Health Insurance, let allo companies provide coverage across all States. The Economies of Scale will result in Lower costs for everyone.