Where is George Elliott?

George Elliott

Former WECT meteorologist George Elliott has returned to the Wilmington area. (StarNews photo by Mike Spencer)

Former local TV meteorologist George Elliott said he missed Wilmington so much he returned for good. He had been living in Tampa, Fla.

“Bar none, Wilmington is the best place I have ever lived,” Elliott said. The community makes Elliott feel at home, he said, and although he has officially ended his work in television, he is not yet retired.

“I am looking for entry-level work,” Elliott said. He would like to work in an office or make deliveries, anything where he is working directly with people in the Wilmington community.

And Elliott sends a message to everyone in Wilmington: “Don’t be afraid to come up and say hi to me. I have never met a stranger, everyone is my friend. … Let’s talk,” Elliott said.

Elliott was with WECT from 1994 until Dec. 31, 2008, holding the weather chair through Hurricanes Bertha, Fran, Bonnie and Floyd. Before coming to Wilmington, the Chicago-area native worked for TV stations in Augusta, Ga., Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids, Mich., San Angelo, Texas and Idaho Falls, Idaho. He was on the staff of The Weather Channel, 1986-1991, and served briefly with the National Weather Service in Montgomery, Ala., before moving to Wilmington.

According to former WECT news director Raeford Brown, the former TV6 meteorologist moved to Louisville, Ky., in May 2009 to be near his brother.

George Elliott returned to Wilmington in 2011 to work with WWAY TV 3 as a feature reporter for the “Explore with George” segment until 2014.

According to the American Meteorological Society’s website, he let his “Broadcast Meteorologist certification lapse.” While living in Tampa he was a meteorological consultant for Solar Wind Energy Tower Inc., a company dedicated to constructing clean solar energy towers.

Elliott literally wrote the book — or rather, a book — on predicting the weather: “Weather Forecasting: Rules, Techniques and Procedures,” published in 1988 by American Press. (You can still order it through Amazon.com.)

Noted for his distinctive voice and upbeat delivery, Elliott said he built his first weather station back in 1969, in his bedroom at his parents’ house, when he was 10 years old.

MORE: On Feb. 18, 2013, the StarNews published an interview with Elliott, who talked about his role as science consultant for a company poised to construct clean solar energy towers in two sites in the Southwest.

Meteorologist George Elliott a key player in wind energy effort

Updated: Sept. 9, 2016

Roy

106 Responses to “ Where is George Elliott?”

1. On January 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm Steve wrote:

George was in town in January 2011 and is planning on moving back to Wilmington if all works out.

2. On January 18, 2011 at 7:30 pm wilmingtonnative wrote:

well.. i would love to see him back… Im sure Robb Ellis is a nice guy .. but i think his on air personality is condescending..

3. On January 19, 2011 at 5:48 pm Jim Ware wrote:

George Elliott stopped by the StarNews today to say he’s moving back to Wilmington in February 2011 and is looking for work.
    “It’s like I never left,” Elliott, 51, said. “Everyone knows me.”
    He said he took early retirement in May 2009 after 26 years in broadcasting to move to Louisville, Ky., where his brother lives. His whereabouts became the topic of one of the all-time most popular MyReporter.com answers.
    Although he considered taking a television job while in Kentucky, Elliott said he and the recession arrived in the state at the same time. People were being laid off instead of hired.
    “When I came back (to Wilmington), it was like family,” Elliott said. “People make you feel like family.”
    Elliott said while he’s looking for work, he’s not looking for a career. He said he has considered clerical work or serving as a receptionist.
    If you’d like to sit and chat with Elliott about the weather or what he’s been up to lately, you’ll find him most days at the South College Deli at University Centre, 412 S. College Road, Wilmington.

4. On January 19, 2011 at 9:34 pm Susie Parker wrote:

Tell George we’re hiring – he can call for an appointment and interview.

5. On January 20, 2011 at 10:27 am Mary wrote:

If WWAY is smart, it should scoop him up! I know I will watch George wherever he is and I am a lifelong WECT viewer and Wilmington native. He has been missed!!!

6. On January 20, 2011 at 10:28 am Daryl Dawkins wrote:

It will be great to have George back in town. I know the Harris Teeter in Monkey Junction is looking for pie tasters.

7. On January 20, 2011 at 11:08 am George McGinnis wrote:

It will be great to have George back in town. How about George as a greeter at Wally World?

8. On January 20, 2011 at 3:44 pm Jim Ware wrote:

George Elliott called today with a clarification to his comments about his career plans.
    He said when he mentioned that he wasn’t looking for a career, he was referring to when he was living in Louisville.
    “Wilmington is my home,” he said, and he is looking for a career opportunity here.
    The StarNews was contacted by a couple of people wanting to talk to Elliott about job opportunities in Wilmington. We’ve passed along his contact info to those people.

9. On January 30, 2011 at 9:30 am George Elliott wrote:

Hi all, it’s George talking at you. Love to all. The overwhelming reception I always get in the Wilmington area is more than just touching, it’s a life force in itself for me. I feel like family to the whole community, and it’s you that make it that way. That’s the main reason I’m coming “home!” I love the area, and, of course, I really love the people. You all are an amazing family, and I’m so glad to be a part of it.

A quick update of what’s ahead for me includes an upcoming BLOG for The Wilmington Star News. Be looking for that sometime in February after I’m settled again. I am also exploring other job and career opportunities (leads?) in the area. I’ve also decided to rejoin all the meteorological societies to reinstate “seals and certifications.” It wasn’t a matter of study (I always do that), it was a matter of paying monthly dues again.

That’s the quick update. More to come, including a brief history of my year and a half in Louisville, KY.

Peace!

George

10. On January 31, 2011 at 2:17 pm Edward White wrote:

George Elliott (Mr. Personality) put on a sickening show of personality that was a turn-off to many people.

Instead of reporting the weather in a matter-of-fact style, he inserted–what he thought–was his “cute” personality. I did not find him cute nor amusing.

I am happy to read that he has found employment in another field.

11. On January 31, 2011 at 3:11 pm John Brunelle wrote:

George: I know exactly what you mean about the friendliness of Wilmington. I’m not a native here and moved away to Santa Fe, NM for 18 months. I missed the friendliness of Wilmington so much that I moved back here in July 2009. I’ll never live anywhere else again. Welcome home!

12. On January 31, 2011 at 4:07 pm Louise Horne wrote:

I particularly miss George’s hurricane coverage. I’ll be glad to have him back in town in any capacity, but even gladder if he shows up giving weathercasts again.

13. On January 31, 2011 at 4:07 pm Not a Fan wrote:

George is welcome back to the area but I certainly hope he does not wind up on TV again. He might be a nice guy but his weather delivery was like a nail across every nerve in my body. He was silly and unprofessional most of the time.

14. On January 31, 2011 at 8:20 pm glenn wrote:

Are you people crazy? He was the most annoying person on local television!

15. On January 31, 2011 at 9:33 pm Ann Hurd Martin wrote:

I am glad George is coming back he has been missed. Whatever career move he makes will be good. But would rather see him back on one of the TV channels doing weather. We love ya George and glad your coming home again.

16. On January 31, 2011 at 9:54 pm Sharon Bethel wrote:

George Elliott’s cheesy demeanor–and looks– during his stint at WECT triggered bouts of nausea in me and my husband.

If he comes back to Wilmington, I hope he has the good sense to keep a low profile.

He used to hang out at Barnes and Noble to get attention. He would sit in one of the comfy chairs facing out so everyone could see him. He had delusions of TV stardom. He actually believed he had “star quality.”

Somebody pass the Pepto Bismol, please.

17. On January 31, 2011 at 10:00 pm Stanley wrote:

I put George in a special category of Wilmington TV personalities. Wayne Jackson, Gene Motley, Jim Burns, Ernie Wayne, Ken Murphy, Stella Shelton, Francis Weller and Ben McDonald. They were all different and were liked by most and disliked by a few but they have made Wilmington TV and it would not have been Wilmington without them. WELCOME HOME GEORGE.

18. On February 1, 2011 at 2:13 am Regina Dalby wrote:

George welcome “HOME”. I really hope you make it back onto WWAY or WECT. You were always a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day! Hope to see you soon :-)

19. On February 1, 2011 at 6:43 am Monte Alexander wrote:

Remember George if you can’t find a job in tv, we always need pie tasters down here at the Harris Teeter in Monkey Junction.

20. On February 1, 2011 at 8:24 am George Elliott wrote:

George again. To those who didn’t like my presentation, I understand that. Hey, you should hear me when I travel and watch other newscasts. Boy, I can be pretty critical. (Bet it would be fun to watch some other newscasts together with you.) Let’s face it, the on-air stuff is a very subjective call. We in the business are probably the toughest critics. No big deal, it’s TV, and it’s a performance and cosmetic business to a large extent. I just hope (regardless of if you like my show or not), that you recognize my accuracy and dependability…that I take pride in, given I’ve had the weather forecast passion since childhood. I’ve got to say, I’m one of the lucky ones to be able to turn my hobbie into a career.

21. On February 1, 2011 at 9:32 am joe wrote:

To Edward and not a fan, its weather and needs some dry humor added in to help it along. Here is the normal winter forecast for this area. high 50’s low 30’s. summer forecast, humid high 80’s lows upper 60.

I would guess that the two of you would find NOAA’s weather forecast done by the computer voice to be best suited for your liking.

22. On February 1, 2011 at 11:34 am Ashley wrote:

I think WECT has a great meteorology team right now. It’s the best they have had in a while.

23. On February 1, 2011 at 11:44 am Larry Vaonver wrote:

Why the fixation with this clown? Wilmington TV is a joke compared to other markets. They have to be this way because they don’t have the revenue to attract top talent. Its either young folks just out of college who are very raw, or the over the hill gang. Production is a circus as well, the wrong video with the story etc. We deserve better but it just isnt possible in this market. George the clown, welcome back, you belong in this circus.

24. On February 1, 2011 at 1:07 pm adam wrote:

Love him or hate him, there is no arguing that the single greatest moment in Wilmington local newscast history was when George showed up to do the weather with TWO broken wrists.
    And the explanation that followed was classic, “mylar balloon popping gone horribly wrong” had me laughing for days.
    Hope to see you back on the air soon!

25. On February 1, 2011 at 7:58 pm Mark Donaldson wrote:

Hey-

I admit that George is “an acquired taste” for some, but some posts, such as the one I saw recently I think were mean-spirited and unnecessary. I’ll grant that George is no Willard Scott, but he knows his stuff and has an (obvious) loyal fan base here and I don’t that can be disputed.

26. On February 3, 2011 at 1:14 am Bryan wrote:

My friends, family, and co-workers were excited to here you are coming back to the area George. Looking forward to your blog with Star News and a possible return to meteorology on the local networks. I would love to see you host a morning talk show on the radio. I’m sure wherever you land you’ll do great. See you at PT’s!

27. On February 5, 2011 at 11:56 am Marsha wrote:

Wake up ILM & SENC! George did a terrific job giving us ACCURATE weather info. Wasn’t that his job? Aren’t we all in this area because we choose to live here? George, I’m glad you are getting your meteor paperwork in order. Local tv weather stations, hire the man! He is great at his JOB!!!! Peace & laughter, Marsha

28. On February 12, 2011 at 4:11 pm Bob wrote:

This is to the person who called George a clown and then went on to put down the Wilmington NC TV market.

I spend a lot of time in the biggest TV market in the United States and I have never seen anyone better or more interesting than George. A quirky and interesting personality, highly intelligent, perhaps even genius, and exceptionally capable — yes — but never a clown.

Who knows what really happened at WECT back then, but it had nothing to do with George’s ability or the size of his following. You just don’t find the kind of popular “uprising” noted here for any but the most revered and capable TV personalities.

With a market this small, it might be worth the money for some group to sponsor his own local show on the Weather Channel, or some similar enterprise. A group like that would get a real and for their buck.

We’ll see what happens.

29. On February 12, 2011 at 8:29 pm George Elliott wrote:

My name is George I LIVE MOYIE SPRINGS IDAHO. I LIKE TO KNOW ALL THE GEORGE ELLIOTT. IT IS GOOD TO KNOW MORE THAN ONE GEORGE. GOOD LUCK GEORGE

30. On February 15, 2011 at 10:12 pm Mary wrote:

To the person who thinks the current team is great, I have to LOL! I watch WECT morning and evening and can’t tell you any of their names. BOR-ING!!! Yes, George was an acquired taste but I’ll bet more people love him than don’t around here. WWAY should put him on the air. Sure can’t hurt their ratings, and it’s better than their lame commercial that concedes no one watches them. Stanley has it right when he puts George in the category with the other local personalities…most of these rude commentors probably aren’t from these parts and don’t even know who Jim Burns was!

31. On February 23, 2011 at 1:47 am Somthing's Fishy wrote:

George, if it is really you commenting on here, answer us a question: Why did you get fired from WECT? Seems like if you were all that accurate they never would have let you go. And why didn’t WWAY pick you up immediately? Something here doesn’t add up.

32. On February 26, 2011 at 4:08 pm Rich wrote:

I’ve lived in several TV markets and have traveled to most of the large cities in the US. George is clearly one of the best weather broadcasters that I’ve seen anywhere. The accuracy of his forecasts, particularly regarding hurricanes, makes him one of the best in the business. Although others may have a different opinion, I thought George’s personality was appealing.

Although I have no inside information to explain why several folks left WECT all at once, I do remember that a new NBC affiliate went on the air in Myrtle Beach at about the same time. Surely this had to have had an impact on the size of WECT’s audience and advertising revenues.

Welcome back George! I hope we see you back on TV soon.

33. On February 28, 2011 at 11:17 am Bob wrote:

If memory serves me correct the time around when George and many left WECT also was when the new GM took over after the old one passed away in a motorcycle accident. Yes, George is corny, yes, he is unique, yes, he can be over the top, but he reminds me of how it was years ago in news and for some reason that is why many like him so much including me. He just comes across as someone you have known for years like a part of your family. I’ll be watching George on WWAY as they are teasing your return.

34. On March 1, 2011 at 7:39 pm George Elliott wrote:

Hi all, George here. First an answer to a question (31 below) from “Something’s Fishy.” I wasn’t fired. I took a buyout as opposed to extending contract as weekend and weekday meteorologist, as well as some mornings and evenings. Turned 50, didn’t want to rotate hours of work, and decided to move for a life change and be with my brother in Louisville, KY. They (WECT) wanted me to stay, but I needed a change. As it turns out, I missed the people here too much. I love the friendliness (a word?) of the people, the area itself of course, and all my deep friendships. So, I came back to town to live…for a long, long time. This truly is my “HOME.” Also, don’t be surprised if you see me on TV soon…but it will be a “WAY” more fun place (hint). I’m both gratefull and humbled by the love this community has always shown me. I love you all and the region as much as the love that’s been expressed toward me over the years.

Look for my new featured blog coming to the Wilmington Star News Online site. Should be ready to go another week or so I suppose.

I also have all credentials back in place for my future indeavors.

George

35. On March 3, 2011 at 12:54 am Keith wrote:

Yeah, I guess George kinda kept the weather light when he was with the other channel…I’m not one for the sensationalism of media…as in loud reporting….”DIRE”, “LOUD”, “DRAMATIC” reporting…in my humble opinion I like the news and weather without all the drums, whistles and bells…WECT is moving in that direction..That’s why I left WWAY in the first place….now I have no where to turn…All I can say is welcome home George and good luck…gonna need it with all these negative nellies here….Theres enough TV for every taste….I guess.

36. On March 6, 2011 at 10:18 am Dave wrote:

George,
    We vacation in the area 3 times a year, you never failed to give us accurate weather predictions, WE miss you, hope you come back to tv!

37. On March 7, 2011 at 8:29 pm Carol Nye wrote:

Hi George. My husband Nick & I were sad to see you go when you left WECT. The raport between you & Fran was always entertaining…& your forcasting skills professional & accurate. We are SO glad to see you back & coming on air soon. Welcome home from Ocean Isle Beach, NC! Love you George!

38. On March 9, 2011 at 1:28 pm Judy wrote:

Welcome home, George. While I am so glad you are back in ILM, I hate to see you at WWAY – one chinzy station. I switched to WECT in the evening – can’t stand Chris Philips. Too much of a dramatic. Hope you will find better footing there than many talented others. Yes, you are unique, but so was Jim O’Brien of WPVI TV in Philadelphia. He was one creative person and you remind me of him so very much. Again, welcome home. We look forward to reading your blog and seeing you on WWAY.

39. On March 10, 2011 at 8:32 pm Jean wrote:

I’m sad for us since we recently moved to Va., but happy for those in the Wilmington area that George Elliott is back in N.C. He was great reporting the weather, and we have many memories of late hours with George waiting for hurricanes to arrive. Will miss you, George, but will try to keep up with you online.

40. On March 13, 2011 at 11:48 pm Barbra wrote:

Hi George! I’m back in Baton Rouge. Good to see your smiling face!

41. On March 17, 2011 at 4:21 pm linda a. pearce wrote:

George Elliot is coming to WWAY accoring to an announcement. Ma already be there.

42. On March 17, 2011 at 5:09 pm Jim Ware wrote:

WWAY issued this press release today (March 17, 2011):
    WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) – After two years away from his adopted home, George Elliott is back in Wilmington and back on TV at WWAY NewsChannel 3.
    “I’m really excited,” Elliott said. “I missed Wilmington. I moved to Kentucky to be near my brother. That was nice, but I realized this was home, so I moved back. I’m really grateful to WWAY for giving me the chance to get back to doing something I love: being part of this incredible community.”
    Elliott spent 14 years on TV in the Port City before moving on at the end of 2008. During his time in Wilmington he created a very loyal following, evidenced by the comments WWAY has received during a recent “Coming soon…” promotional campaign, which never showed his face, but gave viewers a hint with his silhouette and trademark peace sign. Many viewers quickly figured out it was him and said they were happy about his return.
    “Everywhere I went people told me how excited they were that I was coming back, which was really nice, but I had to kinda play coy with them,” Elliott said. “I’m glad now I can finally talk to them about it.”
    Elliott is, of course, best known in the area for his work as a meteorologist. And while he will from time to time add his expertise to the WWAY StormTrack 3 Weather Team, his main duties will be representing WWAY in the community through his “Live with George” segments around the region.
    “We have a great news team and a great weather team in place. George’s presence and personality are the icing on the cake,” WWAY News Director Scott Pickey said. “You simply cannot dispute his power to draw people in, and that’s very exciting to us as we continue to work to grow our product and audience. We’re also excited to help George get back to work in the place he loves. It’s a win-win.”

43. On March 18, 2011 at 10:39 am Bill wrote:

Over the years Wilmingtom TV has produced several “noted” News Reporters. To name a few, Ben McDonald, Jim Burns, George Elliott, Dave Zuckerman, .

44. On March 23, 2011 at 11:26 pm susan hunter wrote:

welcome back george!!!!! you are the reason i watched wect tv 6 !!!!!!!

45. On March 31, 2011 at 6:20 pm jamie wrote:

Just saw George on channel 3, he is skinnier than he was before he left. Has he been sick?

46. On May 3, 2011 at 12:11 am Belle wrote:

I am so thrilled that George is “HOME” where he belongs! I only wish he could be back at WECT with Fran. I loved the way she would crack up at George’s antics. I really, really miss that.

I don’t know if George knows this, but there is a FaceBook group called “The Weather Just Ain’t the Same Without George Elliott” that began when he left. George IS a “celebrity” to some of us, but more importantly, he is family.

47. On July 17, 2011 at 12:07 am Nova Jane wrote:

Hey George! … Glad you’re back … BUT … I wish you were with WECT … I can barely stand to watch Colin Hackman … He literally makes me angry … I mean what’s with all the singing & dancing & Michael Jackson references??? … He just “tries too hard” to be “funny” or “cool” or whatever … And Rob Ellis … I can’t tell if he’s being cocky or if he’s just that “dry” … Well, enough about those guys … Good Luck with WWAY … and don’t worry about the “haters” … That just means you’re doing something right … LOL =)

48. On July 20, 2011 at 4:02 pm carolyn wrote:

George, I just stumbled across the MyReport.com column and the running comments about your return to TV and to Wilmington. I’m a Yankee transplant (8 yrs. now) and I thoroughly enjoyed your down-home reporting. You made listening to the weather report fun. Saw you in town the other day and now wished I had stopped to say hello. As for those who feel compelled to write unflattering comments about you, shame on them. If you can’t say something nice about someone, don’t say anything at all and TURN THE CHANNEL. WECT’S loss is WWAY’s gain. Will keep an eye out for you around town. My friends and I say, “Welcome back!”

49. On March 14, 2012 at 9:39 pm Claudette Cohen wrote:

I do so wish those who growl about Cape Fear’s lunatic side would just pack up and go home, back to their suave, pretty-faced newscasters, their zip-along traffic, their restaurants that serve meals hot because the wait staff isn’t cramming for a test, their smoothly-paved roads with the little greenways, their swift-changing stoplights and signage that actually says something in time, and their polite and reasonable political leadership who never brawl. Understand, we sit on a main pathway for hurricanes, yet we are nuts enough to host a serpentarium full of deadly snakes, a nuclear power plant with not the best past, and a munitions port. This place doesn’t need the movie industry to provide any entertainment, and if I’m going to live here, I WANT hunky-dory George saying, “Gee, I hope it doesn’t make landfall. That wouldn’t be good…”

50. On March 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm Unknown Kid wrote:

I’ve seen George around Forest Hills Apartments.