Where can I find the best pizza in the Wilmington area?

Jeff Hidek

“Best” is, of course, in the mouth of the devourer. But, if you have a hankerin’ for a slice, StarNews food critic Liz Biro says these  local pizza spots are not to be missed:

Kornerstone Bistro, 8262 Market St., New Hanover County [Map this], in Porters Neck, does wood-fired pizza, nice and crispy. And bonus — the restaurant serves gelato.

Slice of Life, 122 Market St., Wilmington [Map this], or No. 101 at 1437 Military Cutoff Road, Wilmington [Map this], has crisp, chewy pies with a huge selection of toppings (meatballs, chicken, steak, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil, artichoke hearts, feta cheese, jalapenos, to name a few).

You can’t beat Mellow Mushroom’s funk factor, 4311 Oleander Drive, Wilmington [Map this], (MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR pie with pesto, button and portobello mushrooms, spinach, feta cheese, and jalapenos; PHILOSOPHER’S pie with steak, portobello mushroom cap, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, provolone, feta, and mozzarella cheeses on an oil and garlic base). MM is a favorite among vegetarians.

And find good old NY-style pies at Elizabeth’s, 4304 ½ Market St., Wilmington, or the tiny, no frills I Love NY Pizza, 28 N. Front St., Wilmington [Map this], in downtown, which is a favorite late-night spot.

17 Responses to “ Where can I find the best pizza in the Wilmington area?”

1. On June 15, 2009 at 6:05 am E. Ward wrote:

Cannot believe you did not mention Brooklyn Pizza in the shopping center off Market Street next to Food Lion. It is fantastic and the way pizza should be. The restaurant is always busy with take out or customers eating pizzas or dinners chosen from their menu.
    Please give it a try and see for yourself.

2. On June 15, 2009 at 10:27 am Karen B. wrote:

Amen to Brooklyn Pizza! Once you’ve eaten their pizza no other will compare!

3. On June 17, 2009 at 10:01 am Paul Martinelli wrote:

I’m from Bensonhurst, that is part of Brooklyn,NY and I can’t belive you didn’t mention Brooklyn Pizza. It reminds me of home. It’s that good. Go and see for yourself.

4. On June 17, 2009 at 11:26 am Judy Royal wrote:

We like pizza so much around here that we ended up with two posts about it! Brooklyn Pizza is one of my favorites and I actually did mention it in the other post: http://www.myreporter.com/?p=1416

5. On June 21, 2009 at 6:26 pm Kathy Hayes wrote:

You haven’t had pizza until you try Luciano’s Pizza. It hasn’t been opened long under this new chef. It is not well known yet, but I am sure it will be. It is on Market St in Jones Plaza. Everyone that I have carried there, always go back. It is wonderful.

6. On June 26, 2009 at 10:25 am Noah F. wrote:

I used eat Brooklyn Pizza until I tried Hoobie’s NY Pizza up in Murrayville Station. I had Hoobie’s GIGANTIC 30″ Party Pizza at Pool Party once and was hooked from then on. Now I can’t even eat any one else pizza.

Hoobie’s…It’s the BEST and addictive!!! Try it and you’ll be Hooked on Hoobies too.

7. On August 16, 2009 at 10:45 am Ron wrote:

The best pizza I’ve come across is Luciano’s in Jone’s Plaza off Market street. They have a delicious crust and they pile on the toppings! Their prices are reasonable for what you get.

8. On September 4, 2009 at 2:42 pm Christopher wrote:

I’ll add my voice to those praising Brooklyn Pizza, it’s amazing. If you’re further south though, check out Frank’s on Carolina Beach. It’s across from Britt’s, and very, very good.

9. On October 3, 2009 at 12:04 pm Jim O'Connor wrote:

How about Brooklyn Pizza?…. Real NY style pizza and other Italian favorites.

They are located in the Food Lion shopping center bordered by Military Cutoff, Gordon Rd and Market Street..

10. On October 26, 2009 at 2:28 pm Mary wrote:

THE best pizza, according to most northerners I know, is at Brooklyn Pizza on Market Street. They make it just like they do up north.

11. On November 10, 2009 at 12:07 am Southern Born wrote:

Heaven knows all you Yankees know everything there is to know about everything. Why would Crooklyn Pizza not be the best!

12. On December 8, 2009 at 9:36 pm Brown wrote:

Luciano’s is by far the best around…and I mean “the best in the 5 Boroughs and Jersey” best. Chef Tony is the man. My first visit was met with smiles and laughter and samples of the food…including a shot glass size taste of the fresh sauce which I sipped, then knocked back. Awesome stuff. I can’t say enough about how great Luciano’s is.

Do yourself a huge favor and stop by for a slice. It will quickly turn into ordering a whole pie and you will be hooked like my entire family.

13. On December 28, 2009 at 2:42 pm Karen Loveless wrote:

Maybe they left off Brooklyn by mistake. Incredible Pizza is pretty good as well as Vito’s at the beach and Michelangelo’s by Home Depot.

14. On January 22, 2010 at 9:22 am tony wrote:

Brooklyn Pizza is the BEST in the area! Try it. You’ll love it.

15. On June 10, 2010 at 11:46 am smart wrote:

De Lara Restaurant

16. On July 17, 2010 at 1:51 am Dan wrote:

Brooklyn Pizza Co. is certainly the best in town, with Incredible Pizza a close second.

17. On June 19, 2013 at 9:31 am LouAnn wrote:

Pizzette’s margarita pie is the best! I’ve had pizza all over the USA and it’s the best I’ve ever had.