The Castle Hayne area, around U.S. 117, N.C. 132 and N.C. 133 in northern New Hanover County, was established in 1861 as Spring Garden. By 1882, the area had become known as Castle Haynes, for a house built before the Revolutionary War by Roger Haynes. The railroad and post office shortened the name to Castle Hayne. Public institutions include Castle Hayne Volunteer Fire Department and Castle Hayne post office.
To gain more control over its future, residents have considered incorporating the community, but nothing has come of those discussions thus far.
Click here for the Wikipedia entry about Castle Hayne.
Date posted: March 2, 2009