There are dozens of outdoor spots for you to enjoy the beautiful weather of Southeastern North Carolina.
1. Anne McCrary Park: Randall Parkway; 42 acres; shelters, picnic areas, open space, pet waste station, parking lot, planting beds, lake and stormwater demonstrations for homeowners.
2. Beaumont Park: Wayne Drive; 3 acres; playgrounds, swing sets, open space, picnic areas, basketball court.
3. Cameron Park: Southern Boulevard; 3 acres; open space, tennis and basketball courts, playgrounds, lighted facilities, water fountains, shelters, picnic area, recreation space.
4. Church & Nun Park: Church and Nun streets, Wilmington [Map this]; half an acre; open space, picnic areas.
5. Claude Howell Park: Water Street; a tenth of an acre; open space, passive area, pet waste area, planting beds.
6. Davis Park: Red Cross and Second streets, Wilmington [Map this]; half an acre; passive area, parking lot, pet waste station, planting beds.
7. Dram Tree Park: Foot of Castle Street; a tenth of an acre; parking lot, passive area, planting beds.
8. Empie Park: 3300 Block of Park Avenue, Wilmington [Map this]; 33 acres; lighted basketball and tennis courts, picnic areas, shelters, water fountains, open space, pet waste station, dog park, concession stand, athletic fields, restrooms, lighted facilities, playground, planting beds, restrooms, parking lot.
9. Godwin Field Stadium: Shipyard Boulevard and Adams Street, Wilmington [Map this]; 6 acres; lighted baseball field, restrooms, water fountains, parking lot, picnic areas and shelters, concession stand, athletic field.
10. Greenfield Park: U.S. 421 South at Burnett Blvd., Wilmington [Map this]; 250 acres; parking lot, restrooms, water fountains, playgrounds, tennis courts, grills, concession stand, lighted facilities, passive area, picnic area, multi-purpose trail, planting beds, jogging-bicycle path, nature trail, recently renovated amphitheater, paddleboat and canoe rental, shelters, open space, pet waste station, Greenfield Grind Skate Park (362-8222).
11. Halyburton Memorial Park: 4099 South 17th St., Wilmington [Map this], (between South College Road and George Anderson Drive); 58 acres; handicap accessible 1.3-mile walking/bike trail, picnic shelters, playgrounds, nature programs and general interest classes, event center for public rent, planting beds, multi-use trails, open space, pet waste station, restrooms, parking lot. 794-6001 or www.halyburtonpark.com.
Date posted: January 29, 2009